Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall >

Design Wall

Design Wall

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM

Hi,

Has anyone ever made their own design wall. I would like to make one, except I live in an apartment. What can I do to make one, so I can hang it on the wall.

Thanks,
Mary (stitchengramie)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM

I have a queen sized flannel sheet pinned to the wall. I've used it for years and can take it down and move it where ever I need it and I can pin to it..I've thought about buying a more fancy one..But why? This works great.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks, I might just be able to pickup a flannel sheet at a thrift store.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Get an old roller shade (long one) and remove the shade. Staple a flannel backed vinal tablecloth to it and mount it wherever you want it. I have seen them mounted inside of a valance box type thing. Then it looks pretty even when rolled up. Unroll to use and roll up when not in use.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM

I have made a few! I sew on an old dining room table onto which is clamped a small pressing station to my right, and on the wall right behind me I tacked up a piece of black quilt batting which is my working design wall...if I am working on a block, all the bits sit in their proper places on this design wall and I work directly off that wall so I do not get confused and sew the wrong bits together. It was really helpful in making my kaleidoscope quilt as I could preview the three variants for each block.

I tacked up a full sized queen batting (also black) on a nearby wall for my main design wall.

I have in the works a third design wall in my quilting room (as the kids moved out I took over the landing and an upstairs bedroom!), one that will be backed with styrofoam insulation so I can pin to the surface as well as get cling from the batting I cover the foam with. This is helpful in spray basting quilts.

I use black quilt batting as my design surface as it really sets off the colours in my fabrics and helps me concentrate on the design. Also the white or natural batting always looks grubby and tatty to me. The black always looks quite "wow".

You can also make a quick design wall by using the fuzzy side of a vinyl picnic tablecloth!

Regards,
Janet
Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Get an old roller shade (long one) and remove the shade. Staple a flannel backed vinal tablecloth to it and mount it wherever you want it. I have seen them mounted inside of a valance box type thing. Then it looks pretty even when rolled up. Unroll to use and roll up when not in use.

this is the one I want, I have a foam board with flannel, bulky
Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I have a queen sized flannel sheet pinned to the wall. I've used it for years and can take it down and move it where ever I need it and I can pin to it..I've thought about buying a more fancy one..But why? This works great.
I was going to ask this question about using an old flannel sheet. I was thinking of looking for one at a resale shop, somehow pin it or build a frame to hang on the wall to use for quilt designs. Glad to know someone else has already done it.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I have a plastic flannel backed table cloth. It is on the curtain rings that have the little clothespins with teeth and hanging from a curtain rod (11 ft.) fastened to the top of the wall. I made the rod extra long so I can also hang small wallhangings alongside my design wall. When my design wall isn't needed, I can just push it back like a curtain.