Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall >

Design wall

Design wall

Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Red face Design wall

Who here has a design wall? Did you make it yourself and what materials did you use? I'm limited on height (my quilt room is an upstairs loft, and the walls are about 4 feet tall at the most. I went to a quilting retreat earlier this year, and realized how important this thing is!

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I don't really have a design wall designated. I lay things out on top of my bed on a flannel vinyl-backed table cloth. I also have taken it and attached it to hangers that have clips for pants, then hang it on the curtain rod on my double window which has about 4 supports It isn't heavy. If I need to take it down but don't want to move any of the blocks, I can just roll/fold it up, take hangers off the rod and put on a shelf or off to the side. very portable.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM

I made a design board. I used a 4' x 4' piece of peg board, put a layer of batting on it, and then covered it with a table cloth, fuzzy back side out. I used a stapler to attached the covering. I then put a board (1x2") across the back near the top that nests with a 1x2" board on my wall so I can hang the board or lift it off and put it anywhere in the room I want.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 AM

We used a sheet of insulation board (the pink stuff from Johnson/Manville--pink panther logo--found at home improvement stores). Covered it with felt and hung it on the wall. It could also be leaned against the wall if you have low ceilings or if you want to move it around. The insulation board comes in 4x8 foot sheets but is easy to cut down to whatever size you need and it's lightweight. The guys at the store will even cut it for you if you smile real nice and say please!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM

2 yards of ivory fleece, 1 package of Velcro. The Velcro package was one side sew on and one side stick on. The stick on went on the wall - the sew on went on the fleece, so my wall is 60" x 72" and easily removable. The fleece holds very well unless a certain Border Collie clears the lower area with her tail.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
We used a sheet of insulation board (the pink stuff from Johnson/Manville--pink panther logo--found at home improvement stores). Covered it with felt and hung it on the wall. It could also be leaned against the wall if you have low ceilings or if you want to move it around. The insulation board comes in 4x8 foot sheets but is easy to cut down to whatever size you need and it's lightweight. The guys at the store will even cut it for you if you smile real nice and say please!
I used a 4' x 8' white sheet of insulation board that I bought at the Home Depot. It is easily cut (watch those do it yourself shows on DIY or HGTV) I covered it with a neutral flannel. I thought I would want to wash it so I used safety pins on the edges of the fabric and took some jewelry jute and thread it back and forth for a tight fit. Insulation is the best since it is lightweight and you can stick pins in it. I have had it for over 10 years and I have never even thought of washing it. I just use one of those lint roller I got at JAF with a 60% off coupon and it seems to do the trick. Good Luck!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I used a 4' x 8' white sheet of insulation board that I bought at the Home Depot. It is easily cut (watch those do it yourself shows on DIY or HGTV) I covered it with a neutral flannel. I thought I would want to wash it so I used safety pins on the edges of the fabric and took some jewelry jute and thread it back and forth for a tight fit. Insulation is the best since it is lightweight and you can stick pins in it. I have had it for over 10 years and I have never even thought of washing it. I just use one of those lint roller I got at JAF with a 60% off coupon and it seems to do the trick. Good Luck!!
Ditto except I used duct tape to attach the flannel. I too have it loose so I can move it around.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM

I use a flat flannel sheet suspended from three skirt hangers that are hung on command hooks high up on my wall. Read about this somewhere on the internet and it works okay for me, though I wish it were a little more stable. Since it isn't secured on the sides or bottom it moves or ripples a little but it's okay.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM

I got a piece of felt (60" wide) at Joanns when on sale and sewed a channel on each end and then inserted a rod I could hang it from in my sewing space. Easy to take down and not much mounting on the wall.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I use a flannel backed tablecloth for my design wall also. I bought the curtain rings with the little teeth clips and put it up on a rod.