Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall >

design wall

design wall

Old 12-23-2013, 04:58 AM

hew thats your woman cave don't worry about what people think CAN you sew neatly
Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 AM

A pretty good portable design wall and be made by hanging a cheap flannel backed plastic tablecloth on a wall or over a door. It can be put away when not in use and doesn't take a lot of space to store. Some of them have better flannel backs than others so it's good to inspect before you buy.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I have seen the design walls that look like a pull-down projector screen with flannel covering. The ones I have seen have a wooden shelf-looking thing at the top and the design wall when not is use is hidden inside the box unit. Does anyone have one of these and do you like it? How flimsy is the screen itself. Do the blocks adhere well to the flannel? Sorry, lots of questions but I would like my husband to build one for me and not sure how well it works. Thanks for your input.
I have the design wall with the shelf at the top that you refer to. I love it. Not flimsy and the blocks adhere well to the flannel. I like it because it can be easily retracted and out of the way if necessary--although mine is always in use for something. I think it could be easily made, I just got tired of waiting for my husband to make it so I bought it instead!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 AM

"Design-a-way" is basically a pull-down shade for $180....I took that idea and went to JC Penney, found a wide shade (mine is 60"). My dh and I laid it flat out on the floor and spray-glued white felt to the shade material, let it dry and rolled it back up. He mounted it on 5" hand made blocks to give it more room away from the wall to allow for the extra bulk. The shade was originally $69.99 but on sale 50% off. I saved $145!!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 AM

I would choose a nice dowel and hang some fabric for the design wall. You can always take it down if needed and you get a nice wide easy to move wall if you can't leave it up all the time. Mine is in the guest room and it usually stays up unless we have company. I used to leave it up for them also until they turned on the ceiling fan and everything blew down during the night. They felt bad but I thought it was funny.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM

If you purchase a roll of heavy duty duct tape, it will hang there till kingdom come.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM

I went to the site to check out their design walls. Very nice idea. Don't see why it can't be made ourselves if handy with tools.

I made a design wall using some batting stapled to my basement wall (chipboard, not cement) then added trim pieces like a frame to spiff it up a bit. I take my vacuum to it occasionally to get all the lose threads and spray a quilter's sticky spray occasionally when the blocks won't stay up on it. I can even use my iron on the quilt top to get rid of the wrinkles before I take it to the quilt machine. So far its worked for me.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 AM

My design wall consists of a plastic tablecloth with flannel backing tacked to the wall of my sewing room. I don't know how I put my quilts together before I heard about it on this board. Whoever wrote about it, thank you. Also the cost if very reasonable. And once in a while, I might give it a spritz of basting spray. Also it could be taken down quickly if it's in a spot you don't want company to see.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM

I use the rigid insulation board - 1" thick. Had them cut it in thirds so I could get it home in my car. Used 1/3 of it making an extended table for one of my machines. Taped the rest together & used T pins to attach it to the wall. I bought a design wall thing (plastic grid on one side and flannel on the other) and it's pinned to the insulation board. I can pin a good sized quilt top to my design wall because when it gets too big it won't stick to the flannel.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM

I keep asking for one gor Christmas but that never seems to happen. I have a very small sewing space in our guest bedroom. My design wall are four large 3m hooks attached above the closet doors. I sewed loops onto a flannel back table cloth. Cheap and so far so good. At least I can put the cloth away when company comes,