Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall woe.. >

Design wall woe..

Design wall woe..

Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Those aren't my colors BUT I SURE do like it. That will be beautiful. Please post when finished and good luck on the design board. I have one that is 8 foot tall and still not big enough so I put a sheet under the edge and it grows out onto the floor. Don't have a house cat, so it's safe from little paws that might rearrange it.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM

I hang my design wall from picture hangers. They hold way more than the weight of the design wall and when not in use I either leave them up on the wall or take them out. All they leave is a very small hole which is barely noticeable and they are up so high you'd really have to know what you're looking for to see them. My sewing room is also used as a guest room. I use a small step stool to reach the top but I'm short.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 AM

My wall is too short, I too did not think it would matter. It does. I hate having to guess if the bottom is laying right. I don't know why I hung it so low, I have 9 foot ceilings, but I am only 5 foot, maybe that is why. But I have the same little stool that you have and it goes everywhere with me. If you can possibly move it higher, you should. I am sure that you have many more bedsize quilts in your future.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 AM

I have fallen in love with 3M's Command brand hangers. There is the version that has metal hooks and another version that the packaging talks about hanging pictures and such things. Take a look at the "hanging pictures" version. You will have to use more than one package to get your design wall up BUT the Command product really works. You can take the hangers off the wall, door, whatever whenever you want to and I have never experienced any damage on the wall, door, cabinet, etc. finish. Heaven knows I have tried these products mightily (sewing room, hanging brooms, etc., pictures, hanging project ideas, and the way I started - our rv. Horizontal room in an rv is almost nil. Vertical room is another story.) But I have probably over made my point.

I also appreciate the fact that there are refill strips available for the hangers that have metal hooks.

Anyway, a nifty product that "delivers."

P
Old 03-31-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

My design wall is 8' x 16' and I still run out of room. It's insulation foam board and I just stapled it to the wall after covering it with felt. The staple holes are tiny, they don't show when removed and are easy to remove.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
I have fallen in love with 3M's Command brand hangers. There is the version that has metal hooks and another version that the packaging talks about hanging pictures and such things. Take a look at the "hanging pictures" version. You will have to use more than one package to get your design wall up BUT the Command product really works. You can take the hangers off the wall, door, whatever whenever you want to and I have never experienced any damage on the wall, door, cabinet, etc. finish. Heaven knows I have tried these products mightily (sewing room, hanging brooms, etc., pictures, hanging project ideas, and the way I started - our rv. Horizontal room in an rv is almost nil. Vertical room is another story.) But I have probably over made my point.

I also appreciate the fact that there are refill strips available for the hangers that have metal hooks.

Anyway, a nifty product that "delivers."

P

I have not tried these, but they sound great!

Dina
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My design wall is 8' x 16' and I still run out of room. It's insulation foam board and I just stapled it to the wall after covering it with felt. The staple holes are tiny, they don't show when removed and are easy to remove.
I am envious! It does make me feel better to know that design walls just are never big enough. 8' x 16' should be close though.

Dina
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM

Thread a length of twine or crochet thread about 12" long through a long craft needle. Push the needle through the foam insulation about 4" down and in from each of the top corners. Tie the ends of the thread to make a loose loop. Using picture hooks, hang the design wall at whatever height you want it. I haven't tried this but I can't think of any reason it won't work.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 AM

Feel your pain! But this works & you don't have to bring anything big home. Cost is small, but you are able to use your design board for both smaller and larger quilts. Mount above your closet doors the "HEAVY DUTY" velcro (one side on your design wall and the other on the closet wall), this way you can hang your design wall up as needed then remove when not in use. Good luck
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM

If you can have that beautiful cat in there, and not have her (him?) pulling those strips off the design wall, you are a lucky woman I think this was a very creative solution you came up with, and seems the perfect answer for this quilt.