Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Design Walls

I have a vinyl tablecloth turned backward at home but since I am with my son for two months in Florida, I have had him put up flannel. A believe a design wall is very important because it really help you see what you are working on.

I have a queen size mattress with a mattress pad leaning up against the wall in my sewing room. The mattress pad sticks the blocks great without pinning. When company comes, I do pin what I have up, then remove the mattress pad until company leaves and I put the mattress pad back on the mattress and stand it back up along the wall. It works great for me.

I also bought a $5.00 tablecloth from Walmart and have it nailed up. Moving my sewing room into my living room and have the perfect wall for a foam wall. (don't worry I'm moving my living room into a sitting room) there is just me so I don't need tons of room.

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    I have a vinyl tablecloth hung backwards against the wall with the flannel side facing outward. I've been using the same one for 12 years. lol... It's a red checkerboard and the checks show through a bit which is really rather helpful and provides a faint grid. But that was serendipitous. My husband painted a narrow board (white) and screwed it (or nailed it? not sure) across the top of the tablecloth to hold it steady.
    That's also what I use. Super cheap and holds just as well as the expensive "real" one my Mom has. Only problem I find is when you have pieces that go inside pieces, i.e., circles you're gonna put in squares, you can't put them up without pinning and then unpinning them. But this is true for any design wall

I use a cheap flannel backed plastic tablecloth. Your blocks will stick without pinning to the flannel backing. Buy the largest size that you can. I hang mine up with pants hangers to cover shelving. I can put it up as needed. Also it can be laid on the bed to put blocks on and then rolled up to be moved or stored. Also a great way to carry design to class! Also search this topic for other ideas. this topc has been posted many times.!!

A design wall lets you see how your blocks will look when put in order. It allows you to move blocks as needed.

I purchased a tablecloth with flannel backing today at Dollar General and tacked it on a wall.. Holding squares nicely!!

Blog Entries
    A flannel-backed is certainly the cheapest way to go. I bought one at WalMart for $3.00. Works great.

Blog Entries
    I use the back of a plastic table cloth and put it up with old sewing machine needles. It's easy to take down and the holes are nearly invisible. If fabric is too heavy, I pin it to the cloth but most of the time it just sticks.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I bought a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation and covered it with felt because it was cheap, some blocks will stay on their own, some need a pin
    Wow I love this idea. Going to go scrounging in the garage tomorrow for the foam insulation. I already have the flannel. I am such a block head. I couldn't figure out where to put a large enough panel but making them so they fold up is ideal for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sorry! This should have gone with jillaine. Told you I was a block head!

i wonder if my old cardboard cutting board would work? it's just been stuck in a corner for years.

My hubby bought a 4 x 8 sheet of hardboard and we covered it with warm n natural batting and he screwed it to the wall behind the door in my sewing room. Works great. I need to clean the fabric threads off it though but here it is with 5 blocks on it. And then with one block on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I'm using fleece - with the nap up. I'm amazed at how well it grabs the cotton pieces. I think it's even better than cotton. I bought a lot on sale to use as backing for baby quilts, which is why I had it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    I've never used a design wall before, but am thinking I really should. (Evidence: I jump into piecing what I'm certain will be great combinations, sew them together, then... well, not so great...)

What do you use? I assume there are purchasable items made just for this purpose. I'm also seeking suggestions for do-it-yourself solutions.

I also need to figure out what wall I'll possibly use, but I realize you can't help me with that!

Thanks!
    I'm going to make me one too!, I watch a youtube video and that lady made it look so easy to use...

I'm going to Lowes, and gonna get one of those insulation boards and put a sheet or something around it..

I would say flannel would be good to use but like you I don't know
    where I would put it. I don't have a blank wall and too much
    furniture.

I covered an etra large bulliten (sp) board with flannel. Stapled it on the back. Now I can use it with pins or not.

Blog Entries
    I use a flannel backed tablecloth that comes in pkg for little or nothing. even can get end bolts at Joann's when on clearance. it works great to have hanging and just put you blocks on it and move them around till you like what you have. That is what I used when I made the Ben's Star quilt that is on my avatar. Wouldn't have been able to get it straight otherwise.

If you have room foam board is great! I bought 2 four by eight sheets and taped them together......like a hinge... and pinned flannel on. I will eventually make it 7'x7' because it really is too LARGE but you could make it any size you want. When you are not using it, fold the boards together and take them to the garage or where ever you want. The only reason I did this is because I didn't have a place to hang flannel and this board can be propped up anywhere.

I have the same tablecloth....Ha hahahah

I just have a vinyl tablecloth pinned up with push tacks with the flannel side facing out. It works great!

Blog Entries
    I use an inexpensive flannel-backed tablecloth. I have a quilt hanger attached to my wall where I display various quilts throughout the year. I just take the quilt down, put up the tablecloth, flannel-side out, and arrange my blocks. This works really well because I can take the tablecloth down and roll it or fold it and take it to my machine or to a class.

Love your idea!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I've tried all kinds, including those mentioned above. I don't have a wall large enough (without furniture in front of it) to hang anything. DH got some 2" thick foam insulation board from Lowes. It was 2 foot wide by 8 foot tall. He cut off 2 feet so it's now 2 x 6 foot. I have four panels. He duct taped them together....he alternated the taping - taping the first two panels on the front and the next two on the back. He duct taped around to protect all edges. Then we taped cheap batting on the front......It can fold up and be stashed in a closet.
    I had planned on doing this same thing!!! I have an area that I can keep the 8' length. of course, this will be done AFTER the pool in my basement is cleaned up. I am going to put the batting on as well, but will probably use my pins (ike pin the tail on the donkey) to hold my pieces. I find after I move pieces around a bit they tend to fall off.

I use flannel on the back of my door. It's always out of the way, and if I need to close the door, I can take it down.

Blog Entries
    Here is a tutorial on a portable design wall that looks easy to construct. I am thinking I will make one like this, even though I have one attached to a wall in my sewing room. One can always use more space!

http://terriesandelin.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

Blog Entries
    I went to the dollar store and bought a vinyl table cloth that had flannel on the back. I pin it up on the wall when I need it and fold it and put it away when I don't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast