Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designs to hand quilt into my sampler >

Designs to hand quilt into my sampler

Designs to hand quilt into my sampler

Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm getting really excited. I'm almost done with my sampler quilt top. Now I'm trying to decide how to quilt the blocks, sashing and boarders.

Pictures of the blocks are here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37059-1.htm.

I am taking the suggestions from the owl quilt for my stained glass owl block. I think he will look great sitting on a branch with leaves all around him and stars in the sashing around his block. But for the rest I really don't have any ideas yet.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Here is a great place to look at stencils for hand quilting
http://quiltingstencils.com/index.asp
I love to collect them :-D
Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

That is a great site but there are just to many. I would definitely be a hoarder if I had a bunch of money.

I just don't know really how to combine the blocks with quilting patterns that will add to the overall look.

Like should the boarders be left pretty fat with only a little bit of quilting? or should they have a very busy pattern that pretty much flattens them?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

There is no right or wrong way to do it. the choice is yours. As long as the quilting is done at least every 6 inches, so the quilt will stay together. You can just buy some 1/4 in quilters tape, and use it to mark 1/4 in from the seams, and quilt there. It gives you a great look, and the tape will help keep your stitches straight, and 1/4 inch in, will make sure you aren't having to try to quilt in the seam allowance. If you want to see some hand quilting, let me know and I will post a picture.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM

you can find designs anywhere. you can use the stencils available or ou can make you own designs. Draw them on paper first so you get the look you want. You can trace a design on bridal tulle and then place the tulle on the quilt and trace again using a water soluable pen. It leaves a line to follow for stitching. Ideas are everywhere.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Here is a great place to look at stencils for hand quilting
http://quiltingstencils.com/index.asp
I love to collect them :-D
this is a wonderful link, very helpful
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Well I read in an article that adding a spiderweb in the quilting pattern will bring good luck. So I think I'll put one on the right hand corner of the border. I think I'll use a 1/4 spiderweb design. Ok that's two choosen. lol.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

what size are your blocks :-D
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 PM

The blocks are 9 inch finished and the sashing is 4 inch squares and 4x9 inch rectangles.

So far I've chosen a bunch of different patterns for the blocks. But I'm thinking I would just do the sashing in a star pattern. There are some very simple ones shown on the website posted earlier in this thread. The two exceptions would be the top right corner (spiderweb) and the bottom right corner (signature block. Name, Date Started, Date Completed, Title)

Here is what I'm thinking for the blocks.

For the bowties I thought the I would do the celtic triange at an angle so that the "Point would be where the little block point is and it would extend out to the diagonal line halfway across the block. On the red pieces. Then maybe just vertical lines down the white pieces every 1/2 inch. Making it look like a striped shirt maybe?

For the charm square I thought the doves and flower vines might be nice. It doesn't really fit real well but I'm thinking I would like something romantic for that block.

For the biscuit block I thought I'd better just stitch in the ditch and leave it at that. Otherwise it would ruin the puffy look of the block.

Birds in Flight. I was so tempted by the geese I saw but it's such a busy block I thought maybe I better stick with the SID.

Trapunto. This block will benefit most by the meandering pattern so that the trapunto really pops I think.

Lattice. The Madam C J Waler looks like a nice pattern to go here. Normally this would be done with a large print or panel background but I didn't have any of that when I did the block.

Hand Embellished Butterfly Block. I thought the rosebud might work for this one. I'd like something with flowers. I just didn't see anything that was perfect.

The Heart block just seemed to cry out for the mariner's star. Kind of saying home is where the heart is? It's just a thought, is it too corny?

Diamond block. I thought the rose fan turned so the base is at the base of the diamonds might work well.

Cobblestone. I thought the lonestar grid might make it look like a pebbled beach.

Drunkards Path. This is truly just a statement about my life. I'm a recovering alcoholic who began her recovery in the Marine Corps many years ago. So I thought I would quilt the Marine Corps Emblem in this block.

That's pretty much the decisions I've made so far. I'm still very interested in any input before I start quilting. Which won't happen for awhile yet.