Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: DH approved a Longarm-Now what?

My DH has told me I can purchase a longarm. He wants me to get what I want now so I don't have to purchase something different down the road. I have test drove the HQ Avante (and fell in love), a Gammill, Nolting Fun Quilter & Voyager. I still want to test drive the Tin Lizzie for sure. Would like to hear from others what they like and what they found when they were looking for their first. That is longarm and not DH! lol

Blog Entries
    LMBO I bet DH is happy to hear that :wink: :D:D:D
    What a sweetie!!! Happy Shopping!!!

If I could afford it, I would buy an Innova.

Blog Entries
    Rhondakp welcome to the board from another Rhonda!

I'm very happy with our HQ-16, which we've had for a little over a year (and before the Avante came out). We'd tried the Nolting, BabyLock Jewel and Tin Lizzie, and much preferred the HQ. We've also been pleased with the company's accessibility to answer questions. I've heard good things about the Innova machine, too, though they're much newer to the non-industrial market.

We just recently got a Qbot, in part because of all the happy users and in part because it's quite a bit less than the HQ ProStitcher. I do a nice freemotion meander, but will never have the time and patience to get good enough doing the harder stuff (and I hated doing pantographs). Happily, the digitized designs cost about the same or less and can be modified to your heart's content.

--Heidi

http:[email protected]/

i think the most important thing is a great rep i searched my area and ended up with the HQ16 as the rep is a great lady

If you want a longarm, go for an A1. We bought a Gammill Classic before we test drove the A1. After that, we wished we had got the A1. Go to Paducah or some other show & drive it. You'll definitely love it.

I love the Gammill

Quote Originally Posted by rhondakp
    My DH has told me I can purchase a longarm. He wants me to get what I want now so I don't have to purchase something different down the road. I have test drove the HQ Avante (and fell in love), a Gammill, Nolting Fun Quilter & Voyager. I still want to test drive the Tin Lizzie for sure. Would like to hear from others what they like and what they found when they were looking for their first. That is longarm and not DH! lol
    I know what you can do, you can have your husband call my husband! LOL
    Congrats

I have heard great things about the HQ's. Have sev friends that have them. We looked and test drove everything out there 3 years ago & finally decided upon an A1 Elite. One thing about it...I will never have to upgrade. It is light weight and smooth as butter.

No idea, but he sounds like a keeper!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    No idea, but he sounds like a keeper!
    LOL, I was just about to ask if you lend him out, I could do with someone telling me that I can have a longarm.

lis the 16 enough room i was thinking about the 26 inch because thats the biggest area to quilt i have a janome and i only get 5 inches so i cant do any fun designs
    there is a long arm show coming to kc,Mo. (kansas city missouri) in may i am going to check them out dh said i could get on also

mema

Blog Entries
    What a sweetie! I think that it depends on how much you have to spend. If cost is no object, then go ahead and get a Gammill. For me, I fell in love with the Tin Lizzie LS. It is a well thought out machine and is just what I needed at an affordable cost (for us). Also, Tin Lizzie makes a lot of the other machines, so I figured that I was better off buying from the manufacturer. I got my 'Lizzie' in October and am very happy with her. She is set up at 10 feet long, my DH gave up his study/ office space to accomodate the full length. I like the wood frame too. It looks very nice and is easy to operate and adjust and it is very stable. Good luck in your search, it will be fun and your quilting life will never be the same again!

I have the Voyager and am very happy with it. DH conspired with some of my friends and picked it out. My biggest problem is no dealer anywhere near me, but they are good to answer e-mails and help. He splurged and got the stitch regulator, something I couldn't do without.

Quote Originally Posted by rhondakp
    Another place for info is the machine quilters show is in Kansas City the week of May 10th. You can test drive and talk to sales people all day! That is where last year I decided on the Fun Quilter.

http://www.imqa.org/MQSHome.htm

Blog Entries
    I test drove a Tin Lizzie when I went to the quilting show not to long ago. I likes the fact that it did not look so bulky, it was very smooth and the people were great. The Gammils where to big and I did break the thread when I was using it. ( the lady was not very happy with me and did not let me continue plus the machines were very bulky and looked industrial to me. something I do not like if I have to have it in a common area which I probably will have to do. have fun shopping. I am envious but am looking forward to your post to see which one you choose. :)

I love my A1!! That said, buying a longarm is like buying a car. Test drive them all. What works for me may not work for you.

Ask around on features. One that came with the A1 was the ergo lift. There are 4 of us who use the machine, with about a foot difference in height. We knew that we'd need it because of that. But, I change the height a lot. Sometimes just an inch or two can give my back or arms a break.

Good luck in your search!

i dont think i kwould go for a wooden frame the vibration of quilting will loosen the joints

Thanks for all the comments! Still have some i want to test drive. It is a good thing I am not in a hurry.
    And no you can't have DH!!!! I think I will keep him! lol

Blog Entries
    Wow, lucky you! I am so happy for you, enjoy shopping

Oh lucky you. I can't wait to see what you decide to buy. I have only tried one so I know nothing.

I just purchased a HQ Avante and love it. I have a lot to learn but am having fun learning. I have had mine for about four weeks now.

My hubby did the same thing to me and I chose the new Handi-Quilter Avanti 18. I liked the size and the simplicity of using it and it's beauty. The Handi-Quilter website has lots of information plus QNN TV is having a series of longarm lessons. You Tube also has alot of video's using different longarms. Another point was I liked the how quiet the Avante 18 is. I found some of the others pretty noisy. Good Luck and Enjoy.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast