Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diagonal end technique >

Diagonal end technique

Diagonal end technique

Old 06-15-2022, 03:12 PM

Default Diagonal end technique

My pattern calls for this for joining two rectangles. I have read through the pattern but can not find out what it means. I think I could cut 45 degrees on each piece( adding seam allowance) and it might work. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2022, 04:12 PM

Does that pattern want you to use this technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SUK_jYSkVY
Old 06-15-2022, 04:17 PM

No sorry I didn’t,t explain very well. It is a 15”rectangle that joins a7” rectangle to make a 22”long piece
Old 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM

Sounds like you would join them like you'd join the ends of binding, maybe? Here's an illustration of what I mean. When you're done, you end up with one long piece in the shape of a rectangle.

https://www.quiltfabrication.com/202...ding-ends.html
Old 06-16-2022, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sounds like you would join them like you'd join the ends of binding, maybe? Here's an illustration of what I mean. When you're done, you end up with one long piece in the shape of a rectangle.

https://www.quiltfabrication.com/202...ding-ends.html
Thats what I was thinking, Peggy.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:15 AM

Does you pattern have a picture or diagram of the finished quilt? Can you tell from that how it is stitched together or is there a contact on the pattern you could call?
Old 06-17-2022, 03:40 AM

If you join a 15" rectangle to a 7" rectangle by butting the ends together and using a 1/4 inch seam alliance you will not get a piece 22" long, it will be 21 1/2". If you join the piece on the diagonal like for binding you will get a shorter piece depending in the width of the rectangle. I think there must be an error in the directions or perhaps you have misread them.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:50 AM

You might be looking for a technique used to snowball pieces. How wide are the rectangles? We only know the length from your post. Are you using jelly rolls strips?
Old 06-18-2022, 05:40 PM

My great grand daughters have been here so I did not get back to describing this. My Mother made this quilt before she passed away. I found part of the pattern, borrowed the quilt she made, and started out the block is 15”, I am working on the top 1/3 of the block. The center rectangle is made op of 8 pieces, then joined to the larger rectangle. I just jumped in and started sewing. Finished the pieced rectangle, sewed it to the longer one ( I cut two pieces of paper and did 45 degree angles and it worked. The name of the quilt is flying home, wish I knew how to do pictures, so I could post them. It is 8 large blocks of a goose and 300 flying geese blocks.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:11 AM

Is this it?