Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diagonal seams >

Diagonal seams

Diagonal seams

Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Diagonal seams are the hardest. At first I thought you were doing the "hard" star and thought, "Yeah, I have trouble with that, too."

Diagonal seams can get stretched from the moment you start to sew them. I don't sew triangles together, I sew squares. This seems to help me with the sewing part. Pressing is another trouble area. Steam with actually help stretch those seams, so use with care. Use more of a pressing action and less of an ironing action.

For the points of your star, I would use flying geese. It illiminates one seam which, for me, means one less place to mess up.

The more pieces that are in a block, the harder it seems to keep square.... And the harder I try, the harder it gets.... Sometimes, the best thing is to let it set for a while, eat some chocolate, then come back with a fresh head.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 PM

Just another hint...
When pressing use the iron in an up and down motion...
Press the iron down, then lift up...no shifting and smoothing and definately no steam...
I was doing this and mine all came out wonky...
Kirsten
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Have the same problems too, but drawing the line sure helps and before you know it they will come out wonderful.....and, of course, the chocolate makes everything much better :lol:
Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM

Haven't been drawing the line. Will probably try that when I go to make bigger ones.

I did try the suggestion of pressing the triangle out before cutting off the excess and that did seem to help some. They're still wonky though.