Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diagonally pieced backing to save on fabric >

Diagonally pieced backing to save on fabric

Diagonally pieced backing to save on fabric

Old 12-03-2022, 08:14 AM

I've used it a couple of times when I didn't have enough of the fabric I wanted for the backing to just do straight cuts. It worked fine. As others have said, just be careful of the bias when sewing the seam.

Onebyone- what is the tube method?

Rob
Old 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM

does this cause problems if you long arm quilt it? I usually like the seam to be horizontal (if possible with the quilting design) to avoid any wonkiness caused by build up of a seam while rolling or extra stretch due to backing not running length of fabric on the frame.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

The LA I use sometimes has never mentioned a problem when I use this method. She is a good friend so I'm sure she would have told me to stop it. LOL
Old 12-03-2022, 01:37 PM

No. I had zero issues quilting my diagonally-pieced backs.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:52 PM

This looks like a good idea. I wonder if there is a video that isn't on facebook.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
This looks like a good idea. I wonder if there is a video that isn't on facebook.
(I like this one the best) Here is one on YouTube: Learn how to piece you back diagonally
Here is the pdf for the worksheet: Jinny Beyer Diagonal backing worksheet

Here is another one on YouTube: Diagonally Pieced quilt backing

Last edited by quiltsfor; 12-03-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:26 AM

I have used it with great success and have been able to use stash fabrics. I use an even feed foot and careful to keep diagonal seam from dragging while sewing.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

The tube quilt back method is one I learned a long time ago at a quilt class. I have the printed hand out but have not seen it anywhere online. Maybe someone here knows about it and if it is available. There is a youtube video but it's rushed and she tears the fabric. Same results just a different method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJt...avenlyStitches

The way I was taught was to use yardage twice the length of the quilt top. Add 1/2 yard to the total . Open the fabric and fold in half (if using two different fabric cut each the same length) Cut into two equal length pieces. Sew the two pieces together right sides together. Now you have a tube. Fod the tube in half longways seam to seam. Crease the fold .Unfold. Cut along the fold (video shows tearing it) Only cut the top layer not the bottom. Now you have pieced backing with no middle seam.
In class we each made a mini backing from a rectangle scrap of fabric. This assured us we wouldn't be making a mess from a lot of fabric. LOL

I made a quick mini from a scrap so it's not proportional but shows the steps.

Attached Thumbnails img_1243.jpg   img_1244.jpg   img_1245.jpg   img_1250.jpg  
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to say the tube method will work for quilt tops about 88 inches wide using regular size yardage.
The extra length is important for the backing to be larger then the top. Try it for a small quilt and then adjust as you like for bigger ones.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-04-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:47 AM

Thank you, Gemm. Very interesting method. When I make baby/ toddler quilts I often end up with 45 - 48" width and have to piece. It looks like this method will work well and with less waste than what I've been doing. My eyes crossed at the math involved, but the Jenny Beyer worksheet will make it much easier.