Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I goof on hand quilting? >

Did I goof on hand quilting?

Did I goof on hand quilting?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Did I goof on hand quilting?

Yesterday I found a wall hanging that I hand quilted about 3/4 of it in 1992. That's the only time I've ever hand quilted or quilted at all. I don't know what thread I used or needle or if I used a hoop or anything. It's pinned together and has thread sticking out everywhere. It has applique on it and I hand stitched around all the applique and there are 9 blocks and I did an X through them. The thread is sticking out at the beginning and end of each of the appliques and Xs. Do I cut them off? It kinda looks like there is knots at the base of the threads. It was my first attempt at piecing and quilting.

My sister taught me to piece and hand quilt back then and she's died in 2003 so she's not here to ask her what I did, so I'm hoping someone knows if this is a technique or if I goofed. Am I suppose to cut the threads off? The thread looks white. Do I just use white thread to finish it? I hate to take all the thread out and start over because I know I won't do it then. I'm not good with hand work. Any help would be appreciated. Remember, this was in 1992.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM

If it were mine---I'd rethread the threads sticking out and bury a knot on each one--(pull the knot into the layers to hide it). Then I'd finish it off quilting with white cotton thread. Good luck! I hope you finish it.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

The first quilt I hand quilted I put big knots at the end of the threads on the back. This was years ago and I have since learned to bury my knot ends in the quilt sandwich. It sounds like a big job to bury all those knots and thread ends but if you pick up the easy thread needles it will go quickly. I get the easy thread needles at Walmart for $3.50 for 5? They have a little slit at the top of the needle that you pull the thread down into to get the thread to the eye. There are other kinds of easy thread needles but these are quite handy for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM

You are getting great advice here. My first quilt was a hand-pieced double wedding ring. I was 10, and my grandmother got me started and then turned me loose, but it was so totally cock-eyed and lumpy that I threw it in the trash in one of my many hissy-fits. NOW, of course, I wish I had that stack of cut fabrics from the 1950s!
SAVE it and finish it and hang it up somewhere!