Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DiD I ruin a yard of Fabric?  HELP!!!!!! >

DiD I ruin a yard of Fabric? HELP!!!!!!

DiD I ruin a yard of Fabric? HELP!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:37 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Here is an explanation I just emailed, and I think it will answer a lot of questions for many... sorry, its a little technical, as I have designed deli papers with logos, and wrapping papers... same basic process as fabric design...

When the printing plates are made to print on something like this (wrapping paper, fabrics, deli paper with logos) the art is done at precise measurements to wrap the plate around a specific printing press. There are hundreds of cylinder sizes... But the art is repeating along the length of the fabric, not the width, hence the need to find your repeat along the selvedge, ensuring that the "purple flower" your looking for a repeat of is the exact same measure UP from your selvedge on both. If the fabric is run thru the printingpress crooked, trying to cut a repeat via the WOF will shift nearly every time.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 PM

too tired to finish this will wait for morning
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

ok, this is working with fabric #1 ~ that is a 12" repeat... so thinking of 4" triangles (finished size)... so this is the visual:

this is one way to cut (after you stack 6 of this 12" repeat)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185815[/ATTACH]

and here's what it would produce...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185816[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185809.jpe   attachment-185810.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

HINT! ... for a 12" repeat, the math says 4" strips for the hex pieces. Use 11-3/4", to give you a wee bit of "fudge-factor". Otherwise if you fall off a wee bit, you lose a lot of fabric.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Fabulous!! I love it, if I had that program I would spend ALL of my time at the computer!!
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
she and I are emailing... I'm helping her see the repeats...
this is the visual I just gave her (visual aids for anyone else struggling with OBW's) ~ that's what we're all here for! These are quickies from fabric #3, it just happened to be the first pic on the email she sent me.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Here is an explanation I just emailed, and I think it will answer a lot of questions for many... sorry, its a little technical, as I have designed deli papers with logos, and wrapping papers... same basic process as fabric design...

When the printing plates are made to print on something like this (wrapping paper, fabrics, deli paper with logos) the art is done at precise measurements to wrap the plate around a specific printing press. There are hundreds of cylinder sizes... But the art is repeating along the length of the fabric, not the width, hence the need to find your repeat along the selvedge, ensuring that the "purple flower" your looking for a repeat of is the exact same measure UP from your selvedge on both. If the fabric is run thru the printingpress crooked, trying to cut a repeat via the WOF will shift nearly every time.
Exactly - I have 4 fabrics that I layed out and tried for OBWs and all 4 were printed slightly off and could not be used. The only other one I had was a dark, muted fabric and it was chosen due to the fact that I had no other. I'm in the process of sewing it together now......great explanation, thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 PM

OK what is a OBW..looks like a kalidoscope to me..which I am familiar with..thanks.Kathleen
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Kathy-it is called a One Block Wonder. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Thanks Angie...why couldn`t I figure that out..lol