Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: did you read the story in the NYT last week about a fabric

shop held by the same family for over 100 years it stated they have fabric in their store rooms from 1950's I would love to get in there and see that oh I would be in heaven. Some of their fabric cost over $1000 a yard wow

Would be interesting to see~~

Wow!! I can't image some of the material that has come and gone in that store in the past 100 years, simply amazing. It is also amazing that a fabric store has been able to hang on for 100 years. So many have come and gone, too many in fact.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    shop held by the same family for over 100 years it stated they have fabric in their store rooms from 1950's I would love to get in there and see that oh I would be in heaven. Some of their fabric cost over $1000 a yard wow

Here's the link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/ny...=fabric&st=cse

My grandmother used to take me there when I was a child (late 1960's). Her brother was in the garment business (who wasn't?) and she would sometimes act as his buyer.

Blog Entries
    Wow! A 1000$ a yard! I'd be ascared to use it!!

Blog Entries
    What would be worth that much? Something with tiny diamonds sewed into it for high society weddings?

I would love to see the fabric worth $1000/yard! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
    I would love to see the fabric worth $1000/yard! Wow!
    When DH and I visited Lanvin in Paris, they had vicuna fabric that was over $1,000/yard.

Blog Entries
    mts, perhaps hosta didn't know how to attach the link. rudeness doesn't belong here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    $1,000 YD, CRAZY ,CRAZY CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remeber the first time I purchased ultrasuede to make a skirt...it took me 3 weeks to cut that fabric. It was very expensive when it first came out. Cannot imagine cutting into the $1000 beauty (at least I hope its pretty). We take NYT and I did keep that article.

The link didn't work for me but I feel paying that much for fabric would truly make me certifiably insane. Obviously there is a market out there for these fabrics but it just isn't me.

Wow, I would love to see the store. Imagine all the beautiful vintage fabrics tucked away!

What a treat it would be to visit that store! Just seeing those vintage fabrics would be great. I'll never get to NYC so I don't have to be tempted by the $1000 fabric!

Sorry I can't imagine paying $1000 for a yd of fab!
    Would love to see it, but couldn't afford it!

At the Lancaster quilt show there is always a vendor that sells fabric that is that expensive. I have actually felt $1,200 a yard fabric. Didn't feel like anything I would have spent that much for, but I guess someone does.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    At the Lancaster quilt show there is always a vendor that sells fabric that is that expensive. I have actually felt $1,200 a yard fabric. Didn't feel like anything I would have spent that much for, but I guess someone does.
    I'd be scared to touch it!

Quote Originally Posted by connie_1936
    mts, perhaps hosta didn't know how to attach the link. rudeness doesn't belong here!
    sorry,but don't know what was wrong w/anything mts that could possibly construed as rude! esp. t o be brought to the attention of the entire board !i think the rudeness was on your part,why not p m if you have a criticion[sp]
    just mho
    dar

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    The vicuna we got to feel was soft beyond belief. I would have loved to have been able to smuggle a bolt or two out of Lanvin's atelier, but I would probably also fall into the category of being afraid to cut into it, lol.

First of all lets just say that I am sure these fabrics are not for quilting. lol When you are buying fabric for a designer or for a broadway show that is going to make MILLIONS, you tend to go all out on fabric for costumes! 1600 dollars is just a drop in the bucket for a costume that has the potential to make so much more!

Uncalled for! Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    First of all lets just say that I am sure these fabrics are not for quilting. lol
    No, but the vicuna would sure make a really soft quilt for cuddling up in ;-)

Who was being rude? Don't understand.

i'm glad i'm not the only one that doesn't understand!
    dar

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dar627742
    i'm glad i'm not the only one that doesn't understand!
    dar
    I don't either but this is not kindercare ladies.. Please play nice or mods will lock/ delete thread. Drop it and get back to the original topic at hand.

Happy quilting everyone.

I cannot imagine the end cost of the quilt if it was $100 a yard? And then after it's made who would you deem worthy of such an expensive gift?? And the person chosen would they realize it's value?!?!!? Oh my!! I just can't imagine. !!!