Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Didn't Finish My Christmas Quilts For The Kids >

Didn't Finish My Christmas Quilts For The Kids

Didn't Finish My Christmas Quilts For The Kids

Old 12-31-2023, 09:09 AM

Default Didn't Finish My Christmas Quilts For The Kids

:::Sigh:::

It seems like it was one setback after another. Sept. they ran out of my background fabric and other fabric choices, then canceled my order without telling me. Nov., I reordered background fabric, but it arrived 3 weeks late. Dec 22, sewed like a demon, but ran out of background fabrc and needed to order more. (I tried piecing bits together to make the sashing, but it looked terrible and still wasn't enough.) Dec. 24, gave up, rolled up the quilts for another day and started cooking the holiday dinner. Today, I still haven't ordered more background fabric.

I didn't tell my kids what I was making them, so they just know that something is coming later on, when I have it finished. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 12-31-2023, 09:19 AM

I was wondering yesterday why you hadn't shown your finished quilts! Hey, life happens, if the worst thing is running out of background it is a good life
Old 12-31-2023, 09:33 AM

How frustrating! Before you know it, the quilts will be done and the kids wrapped up in them and all will be good.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I was wondering yesterday why you hadn't shown your finished quilts! Hey, life happens, if the worst thing is running out of background it is a good life
So true! The kids will get them when you're finished. Just consider them Easter presents and surprise everyone.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:38 PM

3 Kings day is coming! See if it's possible. If not Chinese New Year!
Old 12-31-2023, 04:27 PM

I generally don't gift my quilts on a specific holiday. I just give them when they are finished. One year I did gift some on Christmas but they were scrap flannel throw quilts I had made and were already finished surprisingly by Christmas. So I saw my chance and went for it. They got to pick the one they wanted and they all were happy with them. My brother later complained that there was one thing wrong with the ones they got. They only could stay awake about 10 minutes after wrapping themselves up in them and missed the entire rest of the movie.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I generally don't gift my quilts on a specific holiday. I just give them when they are finished. One year I did gift some on Christmas but they were scrap flannel throw quilts I had made and were already finished surprisingly by Christmas. So I saw my chance and went for it. They got to pick the one they wanted and they all were happy with them. My brother later complained that there was one thing wrong with the ones they got. They only could stay awake about 10 minutes after wrapping themselves up in them and missed the entire rest of the movie.
Oh...what a sweet thing to say. He's a keeper.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Very true! I have to say, it was an ambitious project, trying to get all of the quilts done in time. I did come close. I'm going to sandwich one of them today. I still need order more background fabric for another one, but at least I have all of the blocks done and sewn in strips. The third quilt is just a bunch of blocks at this point. I can work on that this week while I wait for the fabric to come.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:50 AM

I didn't have any quilt gifts to worry about this year, but it has been a problem in the past. Sometimes, I feel like I set myself up for failure by dawdling or procrastinating, and wonder why I do that. I mean, if I KNOW I'm doing it, I should be able to just get my fandango going and do whatever I am putting off, right?

The obvioius holiday coming up is Valentine's. Irish heritage? St. Patrick's day! Or... get them done early and store for next Christmas; you'll have a jump start on the holiday and less pressure when it rolls around next year.