Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Didn't think I liked Batiks

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Didn't think I liked Batiks

I haven't used Batiks before because I just didn't care for them. Well, I'm making a French Braid and I picked out all Batiks for it. I LOVE batiks! I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was thinking they were muddy looking or something, I don't know. I was use to traditional fabric and Batiks were too far out there for me. Well, not any more. Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    They can be muddy but can also be bright and cheerful or more subdued and calming. Check out this link and you'll see some very colorful batiks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t192382.html

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that's what I mean! I love batiks now because I found out they look like that. Thanks for pointing that out to me quiltsRfun!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Another convert! Now you know why we like them so much!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh, lands, I do pity your budget!
    Where are the pics of what you're doing now? The rest of us Batik lovers wanna see!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I love Batiks too...after going through the same stage you did...not liking them....I've now become a fanatic!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I didn't like batiks until I started working at a quilt shop nearly 5 years ago. Now I think they're fantastic!

Blog Entries
    I think the batiks call me or something when I'm in the LQS, because I always seem to end up in that section.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    They raise problems when used for backings. Hard to puncture and get pokies easily

They are very addicting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    welcome to your new addiction...check out www.stitch-n-frame.net they always have batiks on sale...TONS of batiks!

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I love Batiks too...after going through the same stage you did...not liking them....I've now become a fanatic!
    I'm right there with you. I think they used to not be as FABULOUS as they are now. They were kinda heavy & stiff back in the day. Now they're just yummy & need to come live at my house! My only little complaint is I wish there were more pastel ones. I think they're hard to come by.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    welcome to your new addiction...check out www.stitch-n-frame.net they always have batiks on sale...TONS of batiks!
    Connecting Threads has beautiful, reasonably-priced batiks, too.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

jcrow...I can see several "shopping trips" in your future...why you ask? for Batiks for your stash!!! LOL I too love them..but make sure you get some of the lighter colors too. I never thought about that until I was watching Fons and Porter one morning. They were saying how they liked the darker ones but also need lighter ones too. It hit me them...lighter ones. OK..more shopping was in my future too!!! VBG

I adore batiks ... not just the yummyness of the colors, but the fabric itself is typically a tighter weave and the fabric has much less fray. The work I like to do the most is with small pieces, which means the fabric is handled a lot more, which means more fray as you continue to work with it. When I work with regular prints by the time I am finished with the piece I have strings from frayed edges EVERYWHERE. Not so much with batiks. Batiks also seem to hold starch better and stay crisper.

My only complaint about batiks is that I can't find enough in grey. I need/want several shades of grey in "tonal" (no "print") batiks. I don't trust shopping online as I can't tell if they are true grey - some have beige, blue, or green tones which I don't want.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Until about a year ago I didn't like batiks. Now I can't get enough of them. I don't know what made me change my mind. I recently made a whole quilt with batiks that were left over from other projects. I also found some batiks hidden in my stash that I didn't remember buying. Perhaps "they" were sneaking in when I wasn't looking.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I haven't used Batiks before because I just didn't care for them. Well, I'm making a French Braid and I picked out all Batiks for it. I LOVE batiks! I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was thinking they were muddy looking or something, I don't know. I was use to traditional fabric and Batiks were too far out there for me. Well, not any more. Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!
    I will gladly take your "traditional" stuff off your hands!

Blog Entries
    My only complaint about batiks is that I can't find enough in grey. I need/want several shades of grey in "tonal" (no "print") batiks. I don't trust shopping online as I can't tell if they are true grey - some have beige, blue, or green tones which I don't want.[/QUOTE]

I buy the grey batiks then using a spray bottle with a mixture of fabric paint (Pebeo Setacolor) and Tsukineko ink spray them so the tones go together. I have been buying and using batiks since about 1994 when they were $4 yd. They have changed a great deal since then!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Debbie
    Machine It

for sheer laziness----that would be me---------I like them because you don't have to worry much about matching prints.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Now, I want to work only with Batiks. Too bad I have only traditional in my stash. Dang!
    And the problem with mixing "traditional" with batiks is . . . ?
    Last edited by Evie; 06-23-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Yes do show us what you are doing. I have never bought any batiks. Didn't know what to do with them (still don't).

I agree with you that some of them are, IMO, ugly, but some of them are absolutely gorgeous! The colors are intense and vibrant (some of them such as the other person linked to).

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I didn't like batiks until I started working at a quilt shop nearly 5 years ago. Now I think they're fantastic!
    What a brave soul you are! I could NEVER work in a fabric store of any sort, I'd wind up owing them money every week over and above my paycheck.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Batiks are my favorite, glad you discovered how wonderful they are.
    One more material Girl~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    And the problem with mixing "traditional" with batiks is . . . ?
    I love the batiks, but I think they look much nicer mixed with other fabrics.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast