Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference between fabrics >

Difference between fabrics

Difference between fabrics

Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Around here Joann's and Hancocks carry very good quilting fabric--especially Hancocks. Just check it out. AND, if you ever get to the US there are two places you just HAVE to check out. One is Threads of Time in Danville, Illinois, the other is Marshall's Dry Goods in Batesville, Arkansas, if you're traveling around that is. You will also find that our fabric is more reasonably priced than a lot of other countries. Some women from Canada were complaining of their prices, Australia is high, as is (I think) England.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 AM
JJs
Banned

Hancocks carries Kaufman - are you saying Kaufman is garbage? They carry Kona cottons - also by Kaufman...

I just got some yesterday..... at Hancocks on the markdown for $4.50 a yard.

I am getting to the place where I agree as far as JoAnns is concerned. The stuff that's nice and feels good is getting to be around $13 a yard in there - too rich for me. If I were going to spend that kind of money it wouldn't be in Joanns.
Frankly, I'd rather shop the places that have the "out-of-date" name brand stuff for reasonable prices. I don't have to have the latest-greatest the first second it comes out...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Lori, you should be writing books on fabric recognition. I have printed you response and will use it all the time. I love that you carry a damp white cloth in a ziploc... another tip I will use.

When we know if we are coming to the USA I will certainly be posting here and getting any help I can.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 06-07-2010, 07:47 AM

I also think you need to consider what the quilt is being used for. An heirloom quilt desires the very best you can afford. A drag-along quilt can be less expensive fabric but still have quality.