Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Differences between the Singer 500 and the Singer 503 machines >

Differences between the Singer 500 and the Singer 503 machines

Differences between the Singer 500 and the Singer 503 machines

Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Sitting overnight re-did the engine problem with my little plane. The hand wheel was rough to turn and it was noisy..gah. I gave the upper shaft area a drop of Tri-Flow and a drop of 30wt motor oil and ran the bezeesus out of it and it's up and running and smoothed out again. I am cautiously optimistic that it will hold this time. When I turn the handwheel is has lost the crunchy feeling again and turns pretty easily which is far better than I had a day ago.

Miriam. I have the top for it, but it's missing the lid. I am planning to make a quilted cover for it to keep the dust out when not in use and crossing my fingers that I can find a lid for it some day. I agree, not as pretty without the lid, but the hope is it will be useable.

I still have a little ways to go yet.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Sitting overnight re-did the engine problem with my little plane. The hand wheel was rough to turn and it was noisy..gah. I gave the upper shaft area a drop of Tri-Flow and a drop of 30wt motor oil and ran the bezeesus out of it and it's up and running and smoothed out again. I am cautiously optimistic that it will hold this time. When I turn the handwheel is has lost the crunchy feeling again and turns pretty easily which is far better than I had a day ago.

Miriam. I have the top for it, but it's missing the lid. I am planning to make a quilted cover for it to keep the dust out when not in use and crossing my fingers that I can find a lid for it some day. I agree, not as pretty without the lid, but the hope is it will be useable.

I still have a little ways to go yet.
If the motor spins nice with no load it is not the motor - then if the machine is bulking when you put the load on it is the machine. I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Hey Christy, Miriam's giving you very good advice. I'm glad to hear you're getting it worked out. I'm so sorry I haven't been around to help.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM

Not a problem Tammi. I am fighting my way through it with sheer determination. I am working on both the 500 and the 503 in tandem so when one confounds me, I can shift to the other. After another nights sitting the 500 hand wheel is still turning smoothly. Yay!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:18 AM

Hi ladies I have a few questions for you...
I got a 503a a couple weeks ago, looked really clean top and bottom. Plug her in she runs smooth but sews about three stitches and the top thread pulls out of the needle. Messed with the tension for days cant get it to stop.
So dh and i figured lets oil her up and make sure bobbin area is cleaned out really well.
On another site husband had read put sewing machine oil on all moving parts. Yep you guessed it we put sewing machine oil on everything not lubricant on the gears!
What do i do? Yep first machine weve taken apart
Help lead us in the right direction please
Old 08-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

You took it apart??? What did you take apart?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Hi Miriam... poor wording on my part. We took the top off and repaired the bobbin wire springs. Both had fallen off so hubby fixed them. We also took the bottom cover off to clean out the lint and such. And to oil the machine. We used sewing machine oil to lube all moving parts....then we saw in the manual to use lubricant on the gears not sewing machine oil! So now we have to clean it off and then use grease.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

The old sewing machine guy around here says he only uses oil on gears - he says he never uses grease - I'd let it sew a while and if it sounds funny or goes slow or after a little sewing, grease the gears. Nothing to worry about.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 AM

Further to that Miriam is saying, the main reason for using grease is that the grease is that it will stick to the gears, thus lasting longer before needing to be greased again. The oil will fling off the gears as they rotate, leaving them unprotected sooner.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you. Gonna plug her in ans see how it goes.