Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Different machine >

A Different machine

A Different machine

Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 AM

After meeting someone at a knitting class who likes to sew, but has trouble threading the needle, I checked over the weekend and found sewing machine needles for people who cannot see to thread a machine. I imagine they would also work for those who have difficulties threading a machine of another nature.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 AM

Why not ask the Viking dealer you like for advice and assistance - she/he might know of a good used machine that would fit your needs. I find most people want to help when asked. I love my Vikings but agree you need two hands to use threader. Maybe use a separate needle threader. Good lock and happy sewing!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 AM

This won't help w your machine search but do you know that Schmetz makes a self threading machine needle? There is a slight opening right at the eye and the thread just slips right through. Most of the larger chain fabric stores carry them
Old 09-08-2015, 06:59 AM

Good luck in your search. Will be thinking about you. Check back and let us know what you finally decided on.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Read this as going out door --take a look at Brother Innovis 1500 D ---has all these features. Been in love with mine since 2007. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 AM

I have two baby locks. I love them both. Their both now older models but both have so many stitches and both embroidered. Still getting the hang of the stableizers and placement. Not sorry I bought either one when I did. Good luck in choosing a new machine. I think one of the most important part of a new machine is finding an honest person to work with in answering all your questions and really helping you before and after you buy.not some one who just wants to make a sale.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RAChhap View Post
This won't help w your machine search but do you know that Schmetz makes a self threading machine needle? There is a slight opening right at the eye and the thread just slips right through. Most of the larger chain fabric stores carry them
I've heard from a couple of people that these needles UNthread as easily and they hated the fact that they didn't
know it had happened until they got to the end of the seam and realized there was NO seam!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Be wary of this machine. I have one and it does not have a nice straight stitch, and getting any stitch to look good requires lots of fiddling with tension and foot pressure. The needle threader is a real pain. They were discontnued after 2-3 years because Bernina realized that the first 700 series machines had quality problems. I feel cheated that I paid $3500 for this thing. To be honest, lots of people love their 700s, but a few have real problems that cannot be fixed. Just be careful.

QUOTE=Skyangel;7309317]There is a BERNINA model that is just being discontinued, the 710. 10" throat, knee lift, auto cutter, auto threaders, auto pressers foot lift, awesome LED lighting. I think I have seen them around $2800. They might have a good deal at the state fair through tomorrow. I'm in Oregon too, in Keizer.[/QUOTE
Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
If you don't need all the bells and whistles check out the Brother 1500s. Straight stitch only, knee lift, auto threader and larger throat. Tons of people have this machine on this board including me. So easy to use and maintain. It's gonna be a long time before I purchase another machine if ever because I love this one.
Yep, I have this machine too! Love it!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 AM

I just bought a Babylock Crescendo in May this year. Love it!!!!

Needle threader is awesome. The machine has a boatload of push buttons and thread cutters. You can basically run it one handed. Actually, it just runs itself. All you have to do is insert the fabric.

It has a knee lift and you can get an optional foot controller which is programmable (I think) for another 3 options.

The foot controller would accomplish some of the tasks for which you might need your hands. Something worth looking into.

I haven't regretted my purchase for an instant. There isn't anything that the machine doesn't do. Just about everything is automated. An absolutely fabulous machine.