Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different quilting design help >

Different quilting design help

Different quilting design help

Old 12-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Default Different quilting design help

I'm very new to the board and new to quilting. I designed a quilt for my son but I want one quilting (stitching) design for the front and one for the back. The issue here is that the quilting from each side cannot go through to the other side because of the actual piecing design. Hope I'm making sense. Anyway, would I actually stitch the design on each side before putting them together with the batting? Please help. If needed I will try to explain it better
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM

You could quilt your design on the front with a thin batting attached... and then quilt the other design on the backing with another thin batting attached....BUT then once you place the battings together.... you will still need to stitch some "connecting" quilting to keep the batts together.... If I'm understanding you correctly.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

you could put the batting with one side-and quilt it- stitch the other side- then put the two together---you would still need to secure the 2 sides to each other somehow---either by tying or somehow incorporating some of the quilting through the two sides- then bind= the problem with your plan is the 2 sides need to be stitched together---otherwise when the quilt is laundered it will become wonky-
just a binding is not enough- the two sides have to be secured to each other= but tying might work for that part. if you show us some pictures we may have more ideas
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Hmmm, I think that it will work. I don't know if you would need to tack the front with the back so that it would not shift. I wonder if the batting of each would stick together with out tacking????? Maybe someone else here will answer all of these questions. (I have a quilt that I was thinking about doing something similar.)

I see that you got the answers while I was typing. I type slow! This was good info. Thanks for asking & thanks for all of the answers! This board rocks!

Last edited by dublb; 12-12-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 PM

I saw some batting that you iron your top to, could your use two layers of it one for front and one for back then heat fuse the two battings together after quilting each? Would it hold up to a washing? Or does the adhesive melt away when washed? or could you use the two sided Iron on pellon between batting? again would it hold up in the wash?---Just a thought! IMHO I think all layers would have to be attached to each other with tie's or stiching, more than just the binding.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I think I'd go with a large stipple or meandering pattern for quilting both front and back together in one step. For some reason meandering for me does not distract from the piecing design at all. You could also do a large crosshatching design through both layers and it wouldn't distract from either piecing. Just my opinion but quilting 2 different designs, then putting them together and somehow connecting the 2 without messing up the designs sounds to complicated and difficult.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Wow! Interesting question. I think you have all of our curiosity aroused and we would love to see pics of back and front. I will be wondering how you solve this problem, too.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM

I would love to see pictures also,,,,or more info as to why you would like to do it this way....I'm courious...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

I can't offer any suggestions on this subject, but I'm watching to see what the experts have to say. Thanks for asking this question.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Thanks for all of the great help. I'm going to try to explain the whole idea. The front of the quilt is all 12x12 squares of green and yellow. The yellow makes a big "S" in the center for my son's high school. The green squares go around it. In the four corners will be a wave (like the ocean) stitched as the mascot is the "Greenwave" and not yet sure the stitching for the "S" but maybe his name and grad year. The back panel is 3 sections- green on top and bottom and yellow in center or vice versa (haven't decided) but the top will be stitched "Summerville" across, middle a huge wave across, and bottom "Greenwave" across. I just really didn't want the stitching to go through.

After really thinking about it the last few days, I think I came up with a couple of ways to do it.
1) the batting is actually cotton batting not the fluffy stuff. If I handstitch then I can stitch through to the batting without going completely through to the other panel. So, I'd still be overlapping stitches within the batting so that it wouldn't be messed up when it's washed.

2) stitch each panel first then when all is sandwiched, strategically tie yarn knots to keep the panels together without messing up the design.

Hopefully, I'm making a little more sense now. I'll try to put design pics up soon and then real pics as I get working on it.

Thanks again!!

Kim