Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different sized squares . . .  How do I do sashing? >

Different sized squares . . . How do I do sashing?

Different sized squares . . . How do I do sashing?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Different sized squares . . . How do I do sashing?

I' m finishing my Dr. Seuss quilt and it's going to have all different sized squares. How do I do the sashing around each square to eventually make it all square up?
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...x-quilt-1-.jpg

That is a link to my Seuss quilt. I just sewed random sized pieces of fabric around each block from the panel and squared up to the size I wanted. I deliberately made the wonky because that looked Seuss-ish to me.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

if you have a design wall, put your blocks up in the manner you want them arranged. Figure out the sashing around each block and do a row or unit at a time. I sometimes like to do my top in quarters and then sew the quarters together to form the top.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Please show us a pic of what you mean. Put the blocks on your design wall in the order you want. then look at the blocks and see if you can arrange them to make adding sashing easy. You may have to add sashing to each block and then sew the blocks together. You may have to sew part of te bock to another and then add the 3rd block by not sewing the block all the way..Maybe you can put 2 smaller blocks on top of each other and then sew these to the side of a lirger block. Are you trying to make quilt top square or trying to make all the blocks square and then sew them together.? Sometime rasndon placemtn of the blocks means that you have to "fudge" the sewing by partially sewing seams and then add other block.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM

This is what I mean. I just made blocks and didn't have a plan. [ATTACH=CONFIG]442146[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM

I would take one block (they all look fabulous by the way!) and build around that. Maybe use the little squares as corner pieces?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:33 PM

maybe make them all into wonky squares of the same size with some complimentary solids.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Here is a quilt I made with different sized pictures. [ATTACH=CONFIG]442224[/ATTACH]
I explain on my blog how I made it. Look in August of 2012
Attached Thumbnails small-wonky-animal-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 AM

this will realy be cute when it is done!!!! IMHO- Place the blocks in the layout that you like. Keep it random if you want (that is Dr Suessish). Take a good look at the layout and see which blocks you can join together evenly such as the 3HST under the Dr S hat block. Sash these and sew them together. lay them out under the DR S block and see how much sashing you need on the DRS block to make it square up with the HST strip. add sashing to this block. Also do the same with the block under this HST strip. the easist way to put these together is to first see which you can sew together easiest(as I have slready said) sew as many blocks as you can together and then join the rest. You will have to sew the other bocks using the partial seam method to have the blocks to be in the layout you want. You sashing can be different width.

Another example is to sash and sew the pinwheel blocks together. Sew the 3 HST together using different sashing width to get unit square. You will have to sew partial seams on the pieces to get the blocks uneven in the finished unit.

Is this method easy- NO but quilt will be SOOOO cute when done this way. Good Luck!!!!! Please post pic when done.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter View Post
I' m finishing my Dr. Seuss quilt and it's going to have all different sized squares. How do I do the sashing around each square to eventually make it all square up?

LOL, I started writing out how I'd do it, but I'm having trouble with the words I want.

Leaving out a lot of specifcs, Decide what finished size you want your square to be. I'd chose the largest measurement on your biggest piece or maybe a bit more. Your goal is to fill out each piece with borders to get you to your "square" size.

Next decision you need to make is if you wil put your first sash on the top adn bottom or on the sides, so it's not so willy-nilly (unless you like willy nilly). So finish out the sashing so you now have a square.

YOU CAN eliminate a couple strips per piece if you put a sash on the top and the left side on every piece (actually your choice, any two ajoining sides.) When you have all your squares even and laid out, you'll still need a strip along the bottom and one along the right side.

I could show you in a minute-----------but, writing it out so it makes sense to you is next to impossible for me.