Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different Weights of Clear Thread? >

Different Weights of Clear Thread?

Different Weights of Clear Thread?

Old 07-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Different Weights of Clear Thread?

Sorry to be a pest lately. A few months ago, I used clear thread for the quilting and it worked fine. I don’t remember the brand I used. I ran out and bought some polyester by Coats. Wow! I’m having a terrible time with it! It’s like working with a hair, literally. I can barely feel it between my fingers and can only see it from an advanced yoga position. I’m not having a problem threading the machine with it but filling a bobbin with it is tortuous. It's much thinner than thread; the bobbin holds twice as much clear as regular thread.

Are there different weights? I’m thinking maybe I bought a heavier weight the first time. I don’t see anything on the spool that indicate there’s a weight to it.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:00 AM

There are no pests here!
I'm glad you asked this question, because I no longer do yoga, and I'm curious about different weights also. I'm not even sure if they are all made of polyester... or if they all can stretch a lot when loading the bobbin?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

I use Beachwood nylon clear thread. It hold very well and easy to work with. I did not see any indication of weight for this thread. Be careful with the bobbins. This thread stretches a great deal. If the bobbin thread is stretching to much you quilt will buckle some.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I use Beachwood nylon clear thread. It hold very well and easy to work with. I did not see any indication of weight for this thread. Be careful with the bobbins. This thread stretches a great deal. If the bobbin thread is stretching to much you quilt will buckle some.
How do you avoid the stretching? I’m working with blocks of rainbow colors so using a colored thread—even a neutral color—would really disturb the colors of the blocks.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
There are no pests here!
I'm glad you asked this question, because I no longer do yoga, and I'm curious about different weights also. I'm not even sure if they are all made of polyester... or if they all can stretch a lot when loading the bobbin?
There has to be some difference because the first one i used I had no problems with. And I know I didn't age That much in a few months. Maybe the first thread was nylon and this is polyester. i asked about ironing in a different thread last week and someone said that you can iron polyester but not the other kind. Maybe that's the difference in weight?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-07-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Monofiliment thread comes in different sizes (as opposed to weights) when it is nylon. The only exception I know of is Superior's Monopoly which is polyester and is designated as 100 wt which is the equivelent of a silk thread. This website helps explain the different sizes. https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=monofilament-information

Personally I prefer the super fine monofilament but I only use it for ditching. I have yet to do all of my quilting with a mono and I probably never will, opting instead for a super fine thread like Invisifil by Wonderfil, Micro quilter by Superior or silk but I find the price of silk expensive so I reserve it for hand applique. I would not use monofilament in the bobbin. Use a fine thread like Decobob (by wonderful) in the bobbin. When I quilt with mono I usually use a 60 wt in the bobbin but I use a longarm.

A super fine thread like the 3 I have mentioned above, in a neutral color like a sage green, gold or gray will not detract from rainbow colored blocks. It sinks in and blends.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM

wow...lots of good info.
Thanks Juliasb & Feline
Old 07-07-2019, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I use Aurifil monofilament thread from Superior Threads. It is 100 wt. I never use it in the bobbin. Ive heard too many horror stories of winding bobbins way too tight because of the thread stretching while winding and doing damage to the machine. I use bottom line or an Aurifil 60 wt thread in my bobbins
Old 07-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Another Monopoly girl here. I've used the clear and smoke threads. How is the thread wrapped on the spool? You want to create some distance so the thread can Un wind without kinks. You might try a thread net too.

Tips here.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/vide...-thread-holder

https://www.byannie.com/monopoly-invisible-thread
Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 PM

I use Superiors' Monopoly.....have never had trouble with it but I don't use it in the bobbin...instead I use aurafil 50wt thread as it is (I think) 2 ply so it is nice and thin when stitched.I also use a net over my spool just to help it unwind in an orderly manner!!