Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Direction of grain with backing. >

Direction of grain with backing.

Direction of grain with backing.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Default Direction of grain with backing.

I was having a scout around on the 'net and came across an article that suggested that when doing edge to edge straight line quilting it is best to have your backing fabric placed so that you are sewing across the grain, I'm guessing WOF here. If quilted along the grain (I'm guessing LOF) it can result in bunching or pulling between your quilting lines. Oh dear, I have just glue AND pin basted a quilt and was going to do organic wavy lines from top to bottom over the entire quilt but it will mean I am quilting along the grain of the backing fabric (LOF) which I placed in that direction due to its pattern . Does anyone else consider this when they are basting their quilt together? I really really don't want to pull this sandwich apart and re-do....should I reconsider my quilting pattern?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

​I know that fabric stretches more in one direction but I have never considered that in my backing. I wouldn't pull your sandwich apart and if you are worried about your quilting design pulling, put in some extra pins.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I have never read or heard anything about which way the grain should go on backings or any other part of quilting.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Width of fabric is always stretchier than length of fabric, assuming 100% cotton woven fabric. My guess is that bunching and pulling can occur with any quilt, but is more dependent on the skill and experience of the person quilting the quilt than whether the backing is basted length of fabric or width of fabric.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Thankyou Tartan, Jingle and cathyvv, I appreciate your advice and opinions and think I will just "sail forth" and see how it goes. I've been looking at some placemats and table centre mats which I quilted the same way and I never gave a thought to which direction my backings were as they were bits of leftover fabrics I wanted to use up. The quilting turned out fine so maybe I am worrying for nothing. Thanks again for the "hand holding"!!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 AM

The direction of grain matters a lot more in making clothes than in making quilts. Once the whole quilt is finished I can't see that it matters at all (unlike clothes, when it matters the most). While quilting, maybe it is less likely to bunch up if you're traveling in the direction of the least stretch, but since in general people are quilting in multiple directions on the fabric, it's clearly possible to get good results regardless of which way you're going on the grain. Starching the fabric would probably make more of a difference. Heck, I don't even starch and here I am recommending starch.

I know you're already made your decision, but I'm just "thirding" what's already been said.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:11 AM

I'm sure if you've glued and pin basted you've secured it way better than I ever have.

Makes me think of the old saying: "What you don't know won't hurt you." because now I'm going to think of this everytime I put on a backing.

Watson
Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I'm sure if you've glued and pin basted you've secured it way better than I ever have.

Makes me think of the old saying: "What you don't know won't hurt you." because now I'm going to think of this everytime I put on a backing.

Watson
Totally agree with you, Watson .... if it is well "basted" (by whatever method) it is stabilized and will make the difference in avoiding puckers and/or a ripply-wavy effect.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 AM

Thankyou!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:30 AM

You do not need to be concerned if you have basted the quilt with glue or pins because it is stable. It is true that the LWG is less stretchy than the CWG. (width of grain). Most longarm quilters prefer a crosswise seam to join sections rather than lengthwise because of the way a lengthwise seam distorts the rolling of the quilt. I do think it is important to put the backing on straight with the face of the quilt to minimize stretch on the off-grain.