Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Directions in quilting magazines >

Directions in quilting magazines

Directions in quilting magazines

Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM

I am not sure if I am reading things incorrectly or if they are misprints, but I have now completed 4 pieces (quilts, table runner, placemats) from 2 different well known magazines and run into many errors. The directions have had me cut many more squares then I need, then on the other hand cut too few from another material and had to scrounge to try to get a few extra pieces to complete the project.

Is this common or am I just looking at the patterns in an unique way and misreading them? Just curious.

The projects did turn out well - with a number of changes - but they look good.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 PM

I'm working on a year-long project (America the Beautiful), and the directions have been awesome--haven't found even one mistake!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 PM

I have had this happen. Frustrating I know.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 PM

This has happened to me as well. I make a point to always read a pattern all the way through first to make sure I understand it before I even go purchase any fabric.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM

I read the pattern thoroughly before I even cut. I like a lot of Eleanor Burns techniques...so I sometimes adjust the instructions and cutting. If a pattern tells you to cut strips of different widths, I map out the cuts on a grid. One thing I have learned is to cut the widest strips first.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM

This happened to me on a pattern in the Love of Quilting magazine. I got online looking and found there is a section for corrections. I just printed off the corrected info. Maybe the magazine you are using has something similar online also.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM

I think it through thoroughly and make sure I understand what I'm cutting from which pieces of fabric. Will make notes and pin to each fabric. Check & double check the dimensions. Overly cautious because I once ran out of a particular print due to error on my part. Ran back to the store - no bolt! Gone! Panic! Found a small piece on the remnant table that saved the day. Never again.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Power Poster

most magazines have a link on their web site with corrections- before starting a magazine (or even a book) project- it's always a good idea to check the web site pattern corrections link to see if the pattern you want to use has corrections- no one is perfect- even quilters like Jenny Beyer has corrections listed on her web site- sometimes its a typo- sometimes something can get transposed (24 instead of 42)...always good to check- and if you find an error not listed let them know- so they can list it! always read over the complete pattern before beginning- sometimes you will catch it before you start---that just doesn't make sense...
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and the guide to corrections from the magazines. I am sure the more I do this the better I will get.

Thank you again!
Jana
Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned

always go to the magazine website and check for REVISIONS before starting a project! Even pattern designers have revision pages on their websites.