Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disapointing Quilt Show >

Disapointing Quilt Show

Disapointing Quilt Show

Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I can totally understand what Camille is saying. The same thing happened to me at MQX in Providence last April. Many of the vendors I had seen in the past were among the missing...I'm sure increased costs of vending at shows was part of the reason, and the economy. The vendors who were there were mostly selling longarm machines, which I don't have room for, therefore of no interest to me. But, their booths were crowded, so maybe there were some great show specials going on for those who were interested. The rest of the vendors, as someone mentioned above, had pretty much the same items. Lots of "modern quilting" type stuff, not too much traditional. Another thing I noticed was that there were almost no kits being sold. Personally, I like kits, but I know lots of others don't. It's just the luck of the draw when you go to the big shows, I guess.
The main problem with MQX is the advent of MQX west. Attendence is way down because of the competition and vendors are not risking losses. That's also why the show is moving back to Manchester next year to the smaller arena...and tax-free NH can't hurt as far as sales are concerned.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Bernina and Superior Thread

Your Bernina will LOVE the Superior thread. So the show wasn't a total loss. I recently started doing more than just "stitch in the ditch." I mostly use Libby Lehman thread Bottom line in the bobbin. I use the other Superior threads on the top. I even used one of their metallics. I just don't say bad words when I quilt any more. The thread makes all the difference to me. It may not with a better quilter or a different machine, but I love it. I just don't have any trouble with their threads. I have used it on an old 830 from the 1960s and my newer 440. It works great
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM

I too went to the NH show, Quilters Gathering, but I loved it. So many gorgeous quilts, enough in the do-able range (or at least some aspect was do-able). I've been to some shows where most of the quilts seem to be made by professional artists, so far out of my range.

Actually I was grateful not to be tempted by vendors selling specialty items that never perform as well as expected. I only bought three items: superior monofilament thread, 505 spray, and one purse pattern. Proud of myself for not going overboard.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Your Berninas should love the superior threads, they truly are superior! Check their website as they have a great chart that shows what type of needle to use with their thread, and how to mix and match their threads for needle and bobbin (link here to their reference guides https://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/)
So it was not a total waste of time... you now get to try an amazing thread.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM

I went to a show recently and felt the same way. Great quilts but I was disappointed with the vendors. Nothing really new or special and I wound up spending very little. Most of the things I could get at my LQS where I get a discount. Still, as I said, the quilts were wonderful.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM

I got to attend my very first quilt show in October. The quilts were beautiful and I also found that many of the vendor displays were great as well. Since I live in a rural area, I was looking forward to seeing lots of different quilts AND what types of merchandise might be offered at a quilt show, so I understand the original poster's reaction. Hubbs and I drove over 2 hours to get to the show and I was grateful that he took the day off to spend driving me around because I HATE driving in Atlanta!

There were some great classes offered, but I had decided to get the "flavor" of a quilt show before trying to also do a class, plus I was a little more than intimidated about group sewing. Glad that I made that decision because that allowed me to walk around and look at everything. All in all, it was a great experience, I spent WAY more money than I needed to, got to see some beautiful quilts AND some really cool gadgets. Don't know if it's something that I would want to do every year, though. BUT, that being said, there were some things that, if the money well was bottomless, I sure would have loved to have walked away with! LOL. For those of us who don't have easy access to the many stores catering to the quilter, a quilt show would seem to be the ideal place to be able to experience it all.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I could make the same observations as you regarding the last 4 or 5 shows I've been to, but I realized that as time goes on, I've become a better quilter, don't have any need or want for any new gadgetry, and can either figure out the patterns on my own or create what i want. It makes sense that the vendors have the same fabrics - they all have to purchase from the same manufacturers and they might understand that only certain types of fabrics sell well in your region. So, in other words, maybe it's not the fault of the show, maybe it's just that you're just in a different place than you were 8 years ago.

I've gotten to the point where the American quilt magazines just don't do it for me anymore, everything they publish is the same old same old. Been there done that. However, the Australian and Japanese quilt magazines have some really innovative and gorgeous quilts, and I've been drawing a lot of inspiration from them. Maybe it's time to expand your horizons!
I agree with you Peckish, I do not pick up much at shows anymore, because I do have enough of the tools. Occasionally maybe a ruler, I find I have enough of them. I would be more likely to pick up fabric that I liked. I find at shows I take the time to look over some of the quilts, to see how my work stacks up against them. And you know what? unless they are in a competition and perfect, the ones on show are very similar to what I do, not perfect.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Very well put! I've just returned from the International Quilt Show in Houston. While I enjoyed the outting, saw many beautiful quilts, and spent too much money (!), I was ready to come on back home and start another quilt. Must be getting jaded in my old age (ahem). Betty
Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm one of those in the minority...I go for the vendors. I want to see what's new in the world of quilting. But Peckish is right. I've grown in my ability and sophistication in quilting and I either already have the gadget or wouldn't use it if I had it. In our area, aside from guild shows, there is a National show that comes around twice a year. My best friend and I both agree we'd love to take some classes but we just won't pay what they're charging. The prices are ridiculous.
As for the quilts, the best quilts I've seen have been at guild shows lately. Some of the National show quilts are stunning but not of interest to me. It seems they may have been made by people with PhDs in fine art and a raging case of obsessive compulsive disorder....I have neither the talent nor patience to execute some of what I see but I really do give these artists credit. However, I genuinely appreciate the efforts of some local quilter who comes up with a really clever color scheme or idea...just a joy to see. And those seem to show up at the guild shows.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

I just spent two days at the Houston International Quilt Festival. This is my second year, and my cousin came down and went with me. It was her first year. We had a great time. I enjoy seeing the quilts, and really admire the dedication some of the these quilters have, not to mention the talent. With over a 1000 vendors, its impossible to see them all in two days, but we did our best. I did notice that I was not as focused on finding particular items this year, because I purchased the thimble and stencils I wanted last year. I did find the booth of a lady that does exquisite very tiny crochet work; she makes earrings in sterling silver. I wanted some last year, but after the buying my thimble couldn't justify the expense. This year, I just found out a couple of weeks ago my DSD crocheted, so I bought her a pair. Maybe next year for me. Both years I did a lunch/lecture that was most enjoyable. One of the best parts was talking to the many quilters at our table. Also made it a point to do a lecture one day, partly to get off our feet, but we also learned a lot. Got to meet Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson which was very exciting. They are both just as nice in person as they appear on their shows. So, I will go again next year. Can't wait.