Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing 4 Patch, pressing issues >

Disappearing 4 Patch, pressing issues

Disappearing 4 Patch, pressing issues

Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 AM

I'm making a "Link" border with Boston Blocks. I was having terrible trouble with all the seams lying the same way. Somehow I figured out that if I press that first seam with one large triangle and two small triangles back onto itself, not facing away like it wants to go, my problem was solved almost completely.

The first strip I made, I twisted all the seams. There are just too many seams coming together at one spot to leave them like they were. After I pressed that well, it looked great from the front. And I don't care what a judge might think.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Blocks with a lot of seams, I press open. If the seams do go the same way I flip one and press it flat, I don't snip it.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 AM

I am having this issue with the Bonnie Hunteren Provence the 2017 Mystery so I appreciate Jennifer23's comment as well as pressing them open but I always burn my fingers. Still learning what works each time.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
I am having this issue with the Bonnie Hunteren Provence the 2017 Mystery so I appreciate Jennifer23's comment as well as pressing them open but I always burn my fingers. Still learning what works each time.

I use a wooden iron to open the seam after I sew the seam then press with the hot iron after the block is finished. Saves time and my fingers.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 AM
bj

When I do four patches, I sew two sets of 2 squares together so they'll nest when I'm ready to sew them together. Once they're joined to form the 4 patch, I flip to the back, remove the couple of stitches where the nested 2 patches are joined from the edge down to the seam. You can then manipulate them so all the seams swirl clockwise (our counterclockwise), then it doesn't matter how you turn them. The seams will always nest, as long as all your 4 patches swirl in the same direction. And the center will lay flat.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Yeah, that "Press to the dark side" adage doesn't always work either. And I have never had a dark seam allowance show through once the quilt is all done, so I just do what works for me. I flip seams over halfway down pretty often, so I can "thumb swirl" the point of convergence.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use a wooden iron to open the seam after I sew the seam then press with the hot iron after the block is finished. Saves time and my fingers.
Good idea. Thanks.