Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disappearing 9 Patch

Blog Entries
    I just made a d9p baby quilt using charms & three solid colors. The charms had patterns & some coordinating solids. I used the charms in the 5 patch "x", with the solid charms in the middle, and the other 4 patch in the coordinating fabrics. I rearranged it to the spinner layout.

Learn from my example, as you can see, I coordinated each 9p. It would have looked better if I had mixed up the charm colors, rather than coordinating them. (Rusts with Rusts, blues with blues, whites with whites...) It looks kind of "patchy".

November 2011 Baby Quilt

Backing

Closeup

Blog Entries
    Kathleen, that is lovely!

Thanks for the good variation on the D9P. I bookmarked it and will give it a try in the future.

Blog Entries
    i like to use about 15.
    i don't do it like everyone else does in an organized fashion, i do it scrappy looking, i use a 9 constatnt frabrics, and add in a few others, to give4 it varity, this way, i use more and get a greater color look. (if you can, look up Jayden's quiot to see how i do it. have fun and good luck

I like it best with 4 fabrics - 2 of them very similar for the large squares. I like a light background best, and a contrast for the center block which becomes the small squares.
    Name:  2009 Abbeys  Quilt-Duvet Cover.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  597.7 KB
    Last edited by CircleSquare; 11-17-2011 at 10:33 AM.

I just love seeing all these pictures of the different color formulas. They're all beautiful.

I have done several scrappy D9P quilts - crib size. Name:  2009 Scrappy 9 Patch.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  588.7 KB

I can see a D9P can be what you want it to be...SO COOL
    I was trying to decide after my first quilt (just squares..so can practice techniques).
    I think it will be D9P!!!
    Vi

Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
    I just love seeing all these pictures of the different color formulas. They're all beautiful.
    I mostly like to do them scrappy...uses up scraps & then I donate them. They all turn out so different!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by VickiM; 11-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.

OK, an update!!! Eight fabrics so far... you can see them if you click on the link below that says 2011 photo challenge ...rteest42/wordpress... I posted the fabrics as my photo a day!
    I am ready now to sew into 9-patches...If I need more blocks I am going to switch out and add one more fabric I think... MOST of the blocks have that light cross hatched fabric as the center, but some have a bright green or red...

I think this going to be cool!!

Thanks for sharing so many lovely versions for inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen View Post
    I have pretty much decided that a Disappearing 9 patch is going to be the quilt I make for a Secret Santa this year, and have seen many lovely versions...

I have plenty of fabrics in Christmas prints, but before I start falling in love with a 2 or 3 or 5 fabric arrangement, I would love to hear what people who make this often feel is the best number of fabrics to use???

Is it more important that there is separation in tone/shade or more important that there be a variety of fabrics?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
    I've got the fabrics to make a personal sized quilt that uses about 6 bird themed fabrics and 4 mini prints with similar coloring.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I've done several D9P and use a whole lot of different fabrics. Makes a fun scrappy look. I try to keep with a theme, just like you would for a scrappy, like lavenders or brights, but other than that, not much goes into fabric choice.

I have made a number of them and usually use three fabrics. I did use five once when doing a green, purple, and cream d9p and used light and dark purple and green and alternated the pattern. It really turned out great.
    katigirl

I usually use three colors when doing d9p but have done one with 5.
    katigirl

Blog Entries
    I think it is a matter of personal preference. I made one that has several fabrics and it turned out quite nice and I have seen some that have been done with 2-3 fabrics and are a totally different look but also very nice.
    Connie

I have only done one, but it was a scrappy, and I think I used about 8 fabrics. Its cut, pieced, but not joined up in the final top yet as some other projects got in the way and must be done before Christmas, I guess at least some of you out there know what I mean
    pat design

So, it's taken me a while to get back into working on this quilt!! Nothing like the pressure of Christmas gifts breathing down one's neck to get motivated! ( I only have this, a baby quilt to bind, a Christmas stocking to make and 6 shrug type tote bags to make--over and above working 40 hours a week, wrapping gifts etc etc)

Here is the final layout...I used 7 fabrics, I think...I ran out of table, it will be one row longer one row wider at completion, I think...and if not big enough, a sash in that bright green. I am using red buttons and tying it, however!

Name:  IMG_4117.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  153.3 KB

That's very pretty!! Great job! I love the D9P!!

I like three fabrics. Let me see if I can find my pictures....each of these has a directional focus fabric. The last two are small quilts for my mother's cat.

Dina

The choices are so endless with the D9P that one never gets tird of making it.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I am working on one right now...3 fabrics. I am not enjoying it at all, I feel like I am at the ironing board more than the sewing machine !

I did one using charm packs, I really liked the way it came out.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen View Post
    I have pretty much decided that a Disappearing 9 patch is going to be the quilt I make for a Secret Santa this year, and have seen many lovely versions...

I have plenty of fabrics in Christmas prints, but before I start falling in love with a 2 or 3 or 5 fabric arrangement, I would love to hear what people who make this often feel is the best number of fabrics to use???

Is it more important that there is separation in tone/shade or more important that there be a variety of fabrics?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
    I've got one ready to cut and what I did was use the outside corners in the bigger prints.
    Then, the middle edge pieces in a medium print that coordinates. The center. CENTER, square of each 9 patch will be the same tone on tone. After being cut, you'll have sets of 4 similar squares that can be reset in any random order.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I love this pattern...have you seen the 4-patch version of this?

There doesn't appear to be a way to edit my original post to include the resulting photo of the completed quilt... here is the thread I started at the Pictures forum http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t173289.html
    Thanks for all your advice...I went with 7 or 8 fabrics and LOVE the results!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2