Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing 9 patch >

Disappearing 9 patch

Disappearing 9 patch

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

My beginning squares were 5" from two charm packs, Moda Fandango, plus a few I had to cut. I imagine my strips were 2 1/2" wide. This was one of my first quilts and I really didn't know what I was doing. When I decided to set it on point, I didn't know it took more blocks so I quickly had to learn to make a Friendship Star because I only had one charm left, but had some coordinating blenders. Thank goodness for the internet and QB. I needed to search how big to do the setting triangles, too. Surprisingly, it all came together and my daughter loves it. It's a very large lap quilt.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Thank you all for showing me what a disappearing nine patch is. Now I understand it. You have made some very beautiful quilts. I think I am going to make one now. It's so much more interesting than the regular 9 patch. It looks like it will be fun putting it together. Thanks again, Jeanne
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Fun to do.. just watch out for the rotation ! the main block fabric should not have a pattern that has a direction ... not easy to figure out the rotating of the blocks..is a bit akward.. but oh my ! The fun of this pattern ! Magic !
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Do some trial blocks before you commit ... different placements of the materials can give so many different looks. Also, different block sizes, to help you determine what look you really want. Also, who says the 9P must be equal block sizes? You can change the shapes too, rectangles perhaps?

I did some experimental blocks, before I started mine and have some orphans that I'll use to make into tabletoppers or runners.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 AM

You will love doing one. and each one you do looks really different!!!! I do Eleanor Burns Tossed Nine Patch.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM

the D9P is alsew lovely in just two colors!!
good luck,
katz
Old 03-04-2012, 02:58 PM

thank you so much for this tuturial.... I just had found this pattern on Eleanor Burns web site. She called it Nine Patch tossed.
I had a request on this pattern, love these blogs so helpful.....
thank you again for the info and the lovely pictures.
I had gone on the March shop Hop and I am waiting for Moda Bliss fabric precuts.... now I have to decide how to use both the 5 in and 10 in blocks of fabric...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM

I just finished a D9P baby quilt top today! It was super easy to make with precut 5" charm packs. Took probably 12 hours worth of work! I used 2 (42 piece) charm packs from the Moda Athill Range collection plus about 20 additional squares that I cut from another material I liked. It turned out so cute but I don't have a picture just yet. The finished size without a border was 38 1/2 x 52. This is my new favorite pattern for charm packs!

Candace
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Rose this is gorgeous!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Sew your choice of squares together. I used 5 with a strong color in the center one. Then cut like the tutorials say and sew them back together.
http://quiltsatcs.blogspot.com/2007/...-tutorial.html

I put mine on point with sashing and added a center block because I ran out of charms. There is a thread of D9Ps in the picture gallery. They can be so different so it's worth a look.

Interesting design! A good way to feature one special block without a bunch of difficult work.