Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
disappointed in quilting >

disappointed in quilting

disappointed in quilting

Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM

I just got my quilt back from the quilters, and I am so disappointed in it. It's not that it wasn't done well, it's just that it was the first time I've had a quilt machine quilted. I have always hand quilted my quilts. I knew that I wanted this quilt done sooner than I could hand quilt it, so I chose this route. The pattern I chose just isn't very nice looking in certain parts of the quilt. I know there is nothing I can do about it now, I just wonder if this has ever happened to any of you.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Could you post a picture?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Please post a few pictures. I had a custom quilt done one time and it is too busy. So I know what you mean. I have had lots machine quilted and several custom quilted but only one dud! :-D :(
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

one a friend got one done and the quilt was pink and purple and the quilter finished it with red thread. my friend took it all out!
i'm sure it's not bad but you had more expectations perhaps.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Yes, I had one done and when I got it back I hated it, it wasn't done well at all. I didn't rip it out, but I've never gone back to that LAQ.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
farscapegal

Take it back. When I had one quilted for me and it wasn't right I took it back and she ripped it out and redid it. Didn't cost me anything. I wasn't happy and she wanted me to like it.

Sybil

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

How gutting!

I've never used someone else to do the quilting, but would expect there to be some sort of process to work through if you're not happy with it. Have you talked to the person who did it?

I saw a quilt in a show the other day, a mckenna ryan one, that had been professionally quilted, and if it was mine, I would have cried when it came back it was that horrible. The design was chunky and solid, while the quilt top was hand appliqued and was so fine and delicate. It was just totally wrong. Yet the lady who quilted it has an awesome reputation.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

these are genuine questions because i wasn't there and don't know the important details. i'm not trying to criticize either you or the quilter.

did you discuss what you hoped for with the quilter? or did you leave it up to her to design the quilting?

everybody had different tastes. if you left it up to her, i'm sure she did her best to put down a design she thought was lovely. you and she may just disagree about that.

you should only complain that you didn't get what you wanted IF you made what you wanted very clear before you left it with her.

if it was a misunderstanding, or a case of the quilter not having enough information about your preferences, then make sure to be more clear and precise next time.

if you know you didn't get what you asked for, talk to her about it. she can't fix a problem she doesn't know about. ;-)
Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. Can we see what it looks like? What part is the bit that you did not care for?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the quilting. Might it be because you are used to handquilting? I would love to see your quilt :D:D:D