Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Well, I will put in my 2 cents. I also am less than a year quilting. So here is my suggestion: Start by making a few different table hot pads. One block at a time...finish it off, so you get many phases of the entire process. Start small. Then maybe do a small table runner or a small quilt. That is how I started. By the way...the rail fence is the easiest in my opinion. Just go for it. You will be so proud when you do your first hot pad and then go from there.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi There please don't get discouraged with making quilts. I am kind of new to this as well, I have made several quilts, but if you just want to do squares there are a lot of free patterns on quilterscache.com, from really easy to difficult. Go on that website and see what you can find. If you need anymore help please feel free to PM me at anytime and I will be glad to help you if I can. Don't give up ok. I am sure that you can find something that you like there ok. Sending you HUGS.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacc502
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
Don't get discouraged. there are so many simple quilts that you can make using blocks. One is the Rail Fence. Another one is just a simple nine patch. Then there is the Journey to Arkansas. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be doing the more complicated patterns before you know it. If you can't find these patterns and would like to have them, just PM me. I'll be glad to share and lend a helping hand if I can.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My first quilt was a Log Cabin. Easy and very forgiving. I would suggest using a Jelly Roll or Honey Bun pre cuts to make the log cabin blocks. You get to jump right to the fun part and not have to cut the strips. If you don't have fun with first quilts you will be discouraged fast.
Fabulous idea. I hope you get to have fun with it and get some confidence. Good luck from across the water.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Sending you a pm
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM

We all started with something more simple than what we are doing now. Don't give up. I just checked out the quilt done in all squares and it is very pretty. Squares are a good place to start. If you aren't sure about cutting, try a charm square pack. they are more expensive than yardage, but they have a good variety of patterns.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by pattilynn
Turning Twenty is a very easy pattern. you should try it
I agree...try Turning Twenty...You get to pick out 20 great fat quarters and then cut and sew it together in a weekend.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Yes, I think this is a "nine-patch" quilt. That is what I started with and found it quite easy. I think maybe start out with a lap quilt or twin quilt. Just jump and do it. We all make mistakes--sometimes our points don't match, our seams aren't straight and our border bow out. It's o.k.--just quilt for the joy of it and the satisfaction that you DID it. I would encourage you!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Maybe you are looking to much.I know I get all undecided when the choices are to many.....I tell myself, "pick one and go with it". Always happy with the results
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacc502
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
I made this quilt with just squares.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121558.jpe