Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM

There is a tutorial in the tute section of this board. Just look for "Easiest Pinwheels" and you will find it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
The problem is, some of the most talented quilters in the world are members of this forum and it's very easy to be intimidated by that. I also sometimes feel like the bar has been raised so high I can never achieve it!

But out there in the "real world" most people don't know a nine patch from an art quilt. They don't dwell on perfect seams and points. All they know about is the love and time you took to think of them and make their quilts.

Don't let the "honors class" scare you. I'm in the beginner/intermediate stage myself, so I ooh and aah at the pretty pretty, and then sit down and sew my squares together. My squares are better for my having been here and yours will be, too. :)

Julie...I loved your response and thought it said it all!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 PM

I am cutting my 1st quilt tonight. Like you I didn't know where to start. I have a family occasion coming up, I picked a pattern & material for that. Even though I sewed extensively, it was 30yrs ago. This is so different! because of a surgery, my right hand is numb & weak, so I couldn,t feel the ruler thing moving. My 1st cuts look like I was drunk.LOL. I decided to use a marking pencil on the wrong side of the fabric to help me keep straight, it worked! The point is , you don't have to be conventional. You have to laugh @ yourself & HAVE FUN. You didn,t ride a bike the !st time you got on, & didn,t read the 1st book you held. It,s a new skill have fun .Do it for you! LUV D
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dmacc502
For weeks I have watched videos, read articles, searched forums, and I am more discouraged than ever. All you quilters make everything sound so easy. I can't find just a simple patch pattern. I don't want stars, diamonds, triangles, just squares. I am getting burned out on all the info and still not knowing anymore than I did when I started. I think I'll just buy a quilt.
You must not give up. Start small like the one below. If you use the search here and elsewhere, you can see how many varieties can be made with this simple pattern, called Irish Chain. Eleanor Burns wrote my first pattern book about Irish Chain quilts. Try ebay to find a copy?
Here is one I made recently. Good luck.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73306-1.htm
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 PM

Don't get discouraged my dear, don't look no more, just
look for a simple block and start. The more you search ,the more doubt. I bet once you get started you will make bunches.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM

How about just sewing some squares together? No pattern, just cut and sew. You'll be surprised what you can come up with! Take a deep breath and begin. :thumbup:
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 PM

like an irish chain maybe.........
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM

quilt in a day has a scrappy 9 patch...............
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 PM

My first quilt a rail fence which looks difficult but is only some strips sewn together then arranged in steps. I would send you the info if you are interested. Don't get discouraged, we all had to start somewhere. I was 58 when I took up quilting, add quickly, 11 years of quilting or sewing. lol
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Please dont give up I did`nt start to patch until I was 66. . my work is NEVER perfect but that dos`nt worry me at all . I get the greatest pleasure from simlpy having a go.If it isint perfect the world wont end . Enjoy the challenge.