Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM

Time for simple patterns, the fabric is what makes a beautiful 9 patch, relax, slow down, and promise nothing. It is time to enjoy..
Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 AM

As everyone says, take a break away. Then when the little urges come, start with string quilts.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 AM

Don't give up! Is there a local quilting shop you could go to for help? Hang in there
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM

I think we all get discouraged at times. Just leave it for awile and do something else you enjoy. I had the problem recently of feeling sorry for myself because I cannot afford fabric and such right now but, I discovered that I had a baby quilt to get don in one week and just said "Lord, show me what I have that I can use." He came up with enough pieces of this and that to make a nice quilt.
You will get a lot of encouragement here so use the board as often as you need to to talk to others.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM

I agree with Newbee, don't get too far ahead in the pattern and try to understand it all at once.
Just take it one step at a time.

Hang in there!

<hugs>
Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Wow Jacque NOT one person has said, "I've never felt like that!" That should so encourage you that you are not alone.

I'm such a visual learner it is most difficult for me to follow the written directions on quilt patterns in general and believe me there are patterns/books out there that only someone with a mathematical engineering degree could follow. Maybe it's not you, but the way the pattern directions are written? YouTube is great for quilting instructions and most especially for rulers!

I'm so grateful for YouTube and particularly Missouri Star Quilt tutorials for they are always easy and quick rendering for me, more instant gratification. :0)

I have a friend who is a Long Arm Quilter she was telling me she was having difficulty with some function on her machine. She found on YouTube exactly the video that explained to her how to circumvent her problem on her make and model of machine!

This board is so WONDERFUL....there are times however, when I look at what others are accomplishing that if I would let myself, I could become discouraged. There is so much talent here, but we are all on the same path at different places. I admire what others accomplish the intricate patterns knowing full well that I probably (most likely) will never accomplish something that wonderful. Some quilters here must spend hours and hours in pursuit of their artistry to finish so many wonderful quilts...I'm more pokey and for me that is okay.

So to echo what others have expressed, you're okay and you will find your path just don't be to hard on yourself and take the time to smell the roses in your life.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-20-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 AM

I got into a quilting slump right around thanksgiving. I had so many things to make for Christmas and I just started things and didn't complete them. I was just not interested in quilting and was thinking of just getting rid of all my fabric and stuff. I have way to much and it makes it hard to decide what to work on and have lots of UFO's. My husband sat me down and talked with me and encouraged me to just pick a UFO and remind me how much passion I have for my sewing and not think of the next project. He took me to Joann's and told me to pick out what I wanted and then he took me out for lunch. I am now out of my slump just by taking time out.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM

dark choclate
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Take a deep breath and know you are not alone. When it's problematic put aside and work on something else.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM

When I get that feeling, I know time to take a break. It's better for me to do something else and take some time to re-gather my thoughts