Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Discovered a New Use for Shelf Protectors

My new machine arrived and I was perplexed that the new foot control slipped all over the rug while I was sewing. I remembered I had a 4 X 6" piece of rubber non slip shelf & draw lining stashed in a draw. I folded it in half, placed it under the foot control and bingo no more sliding around. I hope this helps someone else on a tight budget and it's available at $1 stores every where...

Happy Quilting Ladies, Andie :D :D

yea way to go congrats on the new machine

That liner sure comes in handy. I put a larger piece underneath my embroidery and regular machine on the table. The tables are the collapsable ones and now the machines don't "bounce" as much. Have fun with your new machine.

Blog Entries
    A new machine is always exciting news! I put a strip of heavy duty velco, the hook side, on my petal. It doesn't budge on carpet. I use the Stay Put pedal rug for tile floors.

This material is great! We have something similar - we had a pad for a rug that we had to trim for a smaller rug. We've been using the remnants for years now. DS took a piece to put under his microwave at college. Kept it from sliding on the table.

I love to use this stuff in the trunk of my car so groceries, etc don't slide around.

Thank you for the other use ideas ladies...

My new machine is a Brother XR7700 and so far I'm loving it and all the little gadgets my old New Home (35 yrs. old) machine didn't have. It's so light compared to my old one. The tension regulator broke the company's out of business and very few parts are available.
    :cry:
    I'll put a sheet under my new baby so I don't have to keep moving it back into place. :lol:

Thank you,
    Andie :thumbup:

Thank you all for your ideas. :D

4L
    What a good idea... Mine slides all over the floor under the machine...I will try this.

thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by harvsstuff
    thanks for the tip

Love your avatar!

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Do you mean the square-grid type that's really rubbery? I'm interested in how it really works putting it under the machine. Mine is a bucking bronco at high speeds. (Need to find out if it's the table!)

I do use this under my floor pedal , got tired of doing the foot dance trying to find it...lol but never thought to put some under my sewing machine,,,,great idea

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    Do you mean the square-grid type that's really rubbery? I'm interested in how it really works putting it under the machine. Mine is a bucking bronco at high speeds. (Need to find out if it's the table!)

Yeah, that's the one. It works under the sewing machine just like it does under eveny thing else. It keeps the sewing machine from walking across the table top. My new machine only weights 8 lbs. and if I'm sewing a straight seam on medium speed it will bounce enough to walk way while I'm sewing. The traction created by the liner, under the machine, keeps it in place. I hopes that helps.

Andie

Quote Originally Posted by desertrose
    My new machine arrived and I was perplexed that the new foot control slipped all over the rug while I was sewing. I remembered I had a 4 X 6" piece of rubber non slip shelf & draw lining stashed in a draw. I folded it in half, placed it under the foot control and bingo no more sliding around. I hope this helps someone else on a tight budget and it's available at $1 stores every where...

Happy Quilting Ladies, Andie :D :D
    What a good idea. I have done the same plus I have a rubber car floor matt under that too. With the carpet floor, my foot pedal slipped all over the place. Happy quilting to you too. Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
    I do use this under my floor pedal , got tired of doing the foot dance trying to find it...lol but never thought to put some under my sewing machine,,,,great idea
    I have a green rubber mat thing that goes under my sewing machine and it is about maybe an inch thick and you put it on the table and then you set your machine on top of it. It helps prevent it from bouncing around and messing up your machine. A lady that had a quilt shop gave it to me. Now it doesn't bounce around at all

Blog Entries
    mine slides too. thanks for the tip on how to stop this.