Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discussion on Fabric choices for OBW >

Discussion on Fabric choices for OBW

Discussion on Fabric choices for OBW

Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 AM

How exciting. I will look for the book. Thank you for doing a tutorial.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Originally Posted by gaigai
I used my regular ruler for my OBW. Any ruler will do as long as it has a 60 degree line. It was very easy! Unless you just want an excuse to get another ruler! LOL
I have a new ruler with the 60 degree on it, Do I need to buy the book, or can I be taught without it? :-D :-D
I am so over my budget for this month :shock: :shock:
Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, and I can be really dense, but I really needed the illustrations in the book to show me how to stack and align the fabric. It's one thing to read the directions, but actually SEEING it was what made it make sense to me. And that's the most complicated part of an OBW, in fact it's the ONLY complicated step.

Both ebay and amazon have the book for $15.00.

I'm not going to be able to join in this, because my sewing room is still completely packed and I still have lots to do in the old house, plus I have a bunch of other MUST DO NOW's before I can play. I'm so far behind at this point I'm about to meet myself coming!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I used my regular ruler for my OBW. Any ruler will do as long as it has a 60 degree line. It was very easy! Unless you just want an excuse to get another ruler! LOL
I have a new ruler with the 60 degree on it, Do I need to buy the book, or can I be taught without it? :-D :-D
I am so over my budget for this month :shock: :shock:
Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, and I can be really dense, but I really needed the illustrations in the book to show me how to stack and align the fabric. It's one thing to read the directions, but actually SEEING it was what made it make sense to me. And that's the most complicated part of an OBW, in fact it's the ONLY complicated step.

Both ebay and amazon have the book for $15.00.

I'm not going to be able to join in this, because my sewing room is still completely packed and I still have lots to do in the old house, plus I have a bunch of other MUST DO NOW's before I can play. I'm so far behind at this point I'm about to meet myself coming!

When you meet yourself coming, tell you that Ninnie said Hi!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guess I will just sit this one out also, after all i have plenty of things that I am behind on, no biggie :lol: :lol:
Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 AM

I'm with Gaigai - I think the book is essential, preferably the One Block Wonder Encore as it includes the detail for all the hollow cubes, which the first book doesn't have.
I think the advice in there to use the 60 degree triangle is good, it is much easier than a ruler too - and she recommends not to trim triangle points - it is much harder to match up seamlines on the hexagons without them.
There are several very good tips in there too, as well as variations on border treatments.
I've made 5 of these quilts but still have the book open when preparing fabric to cut.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 AM

Woo hoo... I found the ruler! I have both books already as I've been wanting to make one of these. I must've bought the ruler back when I got the books. Now, for the fabric...I understand it's actually good to have fabric with some movement in it, and to try and limit the number of colors. Not just two...but not 15 shades either. Is that true? Experts, your opinions please?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

A variety of colors or shades is a good thing. Other wise most of the blocks will look exactly the same. The book also has examples of fabric choices that they figure are good and bad and why they think that.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM

okay...I better start reading! It's a nice ugly day here..perfect for all things domestic!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

And I am going to be here if anyone gets stuck and needs a little more than the book, different hints from a different perspective. and I am not the only one that will be able to help.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Banned

Dang it! Went to FOUR stores today to find the book, wound up ordering it off Amazon, now wondering if I should have ordered the 2nd one too????????????? UGHHHHHH
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Dkm

Keep us posted. I have wanted to do one of these, but thought you would have to be very, very precise and no room for error. hope those that try this will post their thoughts along the way.