Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor >

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 AM

I posted here earlier and thanked QOV for the quilt my son received when he was wounded in Iraq. I also had he pleasure to learn about Soldiers Angels. As someone else mentioned they are competitors. Soldiers Angels provided a laptop for my son when he couldn't type as he he has 70 pieces of shrapnel in his right hand and wrist, the laptop has a program that he could speak and it would type. These are both wonderful organizations and I am thankful as a parent that when something happens like this you can call on someone who can be where our children are.
Soldiers Angels has followed my son and his progress, they sent baskets when he was down and even sent shower gifts when their baby was born 3 years after he was home.
I thank them both for the support they have offered. Leisa
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Thank you for the explanations.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:10 AM

Thank you for your wonderful contribution to our service members.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 PM

Andi - thank you SO MUCH!!! it is great to have the information come from someone NOT in the "administration" of the Quilts of Valour (Canada). I have forwarded this to many people - hopefully to help them be able to speak to their quilters.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:41 PM

Leisa, hugs to your son! There are several groups of people in both our countries who appreciate our soldiers, and i never look at them as "competition" - but rather partners in thanking our brave men and women.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 PM

Jade - re: piles of quilts - you just might have seen a photo when the quilts came in! We (Canadian Quilts of Valour) sent 150 quilts to Germany on request this summer, because the cupboards were bare.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
while this seems NICE info, I continue to disagree! I worked with QOV from the beginning of it, before even being a ".org". In the beginning Catherine just wanted quilts..they were simple, easy to make, hardly quilted at all and only had to be 50" x 60"! Then as the FAME set in, so did all of the rules, the quality had to be the BEST...famous quilter's took on the cause to help promote themselves at the Quilter's expo, and that is when I jumped the train...I still have the original DVD's we used to play as we would BEG for money for batting, thread, shipping funds etc at places like Lions clubs, VFW's, DAv's, etc...it was really sad to watch the direction Catherine decided to take this cause...these days if the quilts are not good enough to present to the General on the steps of the White house, it is NOT QOV acceptable! Color it anyway you wish, but unless you have watched this group/cause over the last 10 years, then you really have NO clue why people like myself choose to NOT support QOV any longer! I prefer to keep it local..everyone has a VFW or DAV center...find it and give your lovely handmade quilts to a real deserving VEt..not just a media hype publicity stunt with Catherine Roberts and her hand picked soldier of the day!
An interesting insight J. i observed at the beginning of QOVF, and as the founder for Canada's version, i have had many quilts come thru my home before heading to our soldiers. we operate somewhat differently in terms of delivery, but the philosphy is the same. We give quilted hugs to our military members. unfortunately, i have seen some quilts come through that have not been made with care and attention or quality fabric. it bothers me to think that a product that will fall apart, bunch up or otherwise become moving furniture padding has been given to the people who keep our countries free and will endure physical and mental trauma for the rest of their lives because of it. Why should we add a comfort gift that doesn't last past the first washing? What kind of message does that send as a thank you? I encourage the best for the best. and always will.
Lezley Zwaal.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM

I have found over many years of charity sewing, that most if not all rules are made from necessity and not from someones whim. A lot of trial and error goes into successful giving and the rules are usually a result of what is learned then.

Great cause and it sounds like it is set up very well.