Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dividing a cutting mat in half >

Dividing a cutting mat in half

Dividing a cutting mat in half

Old 10-23-2021, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think she means she will put it back together when she gets there. Easy to do with heavy tape on back. I have taped two mats together before and it worked fine. I would buy another one when I got there and save the hassle only because I don't do hassle. LOL

Love your response Tee-Hee-Hee! I never think to "not do hassle" until I have done the hassle and wasted way too much time, energy and sometimes.....money. I would just buy a smaller mat. For me large mats are too precious to cut even if they can be taped back together.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:29 AM

I've cut mats using the big snips like onebyone suggested. I use the straight ones, not the slant ones. Probably any heavy duty scissors would work also. Then if there are rough edges I use really fine sandpaper and give it a light rub on the edges. I've done this many times when the mats crack or chip on the corners.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:10 AM

It would be easier to just purchase a smaller mat to take with you!
Old 10-23-2021, 06:15 AM

I too would just buy a smaller mat, I have mats in various sizes some for travel others to work on very large projects. Sizes range from 6" square to 54" large. Each has its own function.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:17 AM

Thanks everyone. I actually have three really big mats. I only use one occasionally two. So I’m happy to give up the third. I have another foldable small mat that I’ve been bringing.

im willing to give up that third large mat to the grandkids. I’ve got everything else there. Machine thread, rulers pins. I’m going to buy a rotary cutter. With this and the mat I won’t have to lug stuff on the plane.

my husband has a pair of those snips and he will use them to cut the mat. It’s to big otherwise.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:56 PM

My husband used a saber saw to cut it. He said the saw worked great.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:51 AM

I have an Omnigrid Mat (ITEM 12wg) that is 11" x 8" when folded. It opens to a cutting board on one side and a ironing board on the other side. So useful for my 6" blocks! Wonderful for taking to (oh, what's the name?) "lessons", etc. Have a look for it!

Old 11-09-2021, 10:01 AM

I just ran mine through the table saw. I bought two to line my LA table. Set the fence at 18" and ran them through to have four pieces 36*18.