Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diy ironing board cover with wool mat >

Diy ironing board cover with wool mat

Diy ironing board cover with wool mat

Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
My concern would be that the steam coming in contact with the wood could cause a mildew problem. Also, a pad should be used so the wool doesn't flatten and defeat the purpose of the wool mat. Perhaps you should consider a waterproof heat proof cover on the board (plywood) and then a padding before applying the wool. I have an afterthought what is the plywood treated with? You would be heating that and breathing it.
Good things to consider! Thank you so much!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
We don't know where you live - here is So. Cal. I don't have a problem with the idea of mold. My homemade ironing board is 24in. by 48 in. covered with 2 layers of cotton batting over a plywood that is 1/2 inch thick. It isn't warping and does not appear to be splitting either. It's now about 9 years old. And I spray my fabric with water instead of steam with the iron and spray starch when I need it. My wool mat is 17 x 24. I hang it up using a plastic clip hanger. But that's mainly to get it out of the way, flat, and readily available.
I live in SW Missouri. Do you just lay the wool mat on top of your ironing board?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
We don't know where you live - here is So. Cal. I don't have a problem with the idea of mold. My homemade ironing board is 24in. by 48 in. covered with 2 layers of cotton batting over a plywood that is 1/2 inch thick. It isn't warping and does not appear to be splitting either. It's now about 9 years old. And I spray my fabric with water instead of steam with the iron and spray starch when I need it. My wool mat is 17 x 24. I hang it up using a plastic clip hanger. But that's mainly to get it out of the way, flat, and readily available.
also, what kind of cover did you put over your layers of cotton batting?
Old 02-17-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Does ecorug still make 100% wool pads? When I checked recently it redirected to a different company whose rug pads weren't wool.
wow you're right. When I looked a few months ago, they will carried them. I called and they no longer carry them. What a bummer!