Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DIY laundry detergent recipes-please >

DIY laundry detergent recipes-please

DIY laundry detergent recipes-please

Old 10-29-2022, 01:46 AM

I make my own laundry detergent using 20 mule team borax, washing soda and fels naptha. I grate the soap, then add it to the borax and mix in a food processor for finer soap granules. I place the needed quantity in my he machine, then ass the clothes.

@osewme we also have a septic system. I’ve been making my own soap for quite a few years and when we had our system pumped last year we were told whatever we were doing, we should keep it up. One thing I never use is bleach.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:23 AM

ctrysass2012, her recipe is just a little different than others, but I would not be using any of the scent crystals.
Thank you for the info to her site.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:26 AM

MaryKay, that is interesting to know how to have things cleaned with plain old vinegar and paper bags. The very old 'recipes' are so good to know about. Thank you
Old 10-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
I use equal amounts of Zote flakes, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and 20 Mule
Team Borax. I use dryer balls instead of softener and use lavender on them in the dryer. I mix it up in an ice cream container and use about a tablespoon in each load. For stained work clothes you can add more.
i used this for years and finally got tired of making it. I used it with cold water and never had an issue. Now I buy wash sheets that dissolve. Not dryer sheets. Don't use them. Dryer balls do the same
for me
Old 10-29-2022, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Purex had the dissolving detergent sheets a few decades ago. I used them all the time. I had teens at home and no mess of spilled detergent. All of a sudden they were not made any longer. Now it seems to be the new next thing. Also Purex had color catching detergent too. It worked like adding a color catcher sheet to the wash. It stopped being made too. Purex has always been ahead of the others in innovations of laundry. They had the first pods called tabs. I wonder why they stop manufacturing all the new stuff, sell the idea to others? Purex brands are always cheaper then most others too.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:39 PM

I don't have the recipe in front of me right now, but I did make some at one point. I found, after using it for several months, that all our clothes looked much greyer than they had been. Nothing looked bright and clean anymore. I went with a natural cleaner from Norwex. It's much better.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I just use cold water Tide. Works well. Bleach dish towels when they get stains. Usually just add oxyclean to tide. Usually everything thing come out using white setting with soak.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
One Good Thing by Jillee also has a laundry soap recipe & quite a few other home remedies/recipes.
thanks for the link. She’s got great tips however I like my Mom & Grandma’s solution to stacking containers in the refrigerator better than using chopsticks like she does. They didn’t use foil or plastic wrap when covering a bowl in the refrigerator. Instead, they covered it with a plate & another bowl stacked securely on top.
Old 10-30-2022, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Purex had the dissolving detergent sheets a few decades ago. I used them all the time. I had teens at home and no mess of spilled detergent. All of a sudden they were not made any longer. Now it seems to be the new next thing. Also Purex had color catching detergent too. It worked like adding a color catcher sheet to the wash. It stopped being made too. Purex has always been ahead of the others in innovations of laundry. They had the first pods called tabs. I wonder why they stop manufacturing all the new stuff, sell the idea to others? Purex brands are always cheaper then most others too.
The dissolving sheets were wonderful when we lived and traveled in our camper for a year. I miss them.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:33 AM

Smile

[QUOTE=marsharini;8573180]I make my own laundry detergent using 20 mule team borax, washing soda and fels naptha. I grate the soap, then add it to the borax and mix in a food processor for finer soap granules. I place the needed quantity in my he machine, then ass the clothes.

This is my first post here so please forgive me if I make a mistake. Would you mind sharing the measurements for the products you use? Thanks, Kitty