Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DMS Westalee Quilting Rulers >

DMS Westalee Quilting Rulers

DMS Westalee Quilting Rulers

Old 04-16-2020, 05:16 AM

Default DMS Westalee Quilting Rulers

I have decided to try ruler quilting and have been looking at the Westalee Quilting rulers. I already know what size ruler foot to buy, but I'm not sure which ruler set or specialty rulers to buy. What are your favorites? I'm guessing a straight ruler and maybe a scalloped one would get used the most... I was looking at the feathers set because I love feathers, but it's pretty pricy. Thanks for any tips!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

A straight edge is handy for quilting sashing and straight lines. It depends on how you want to quilt your top but if you just want a design in each block, one of the spin rulers will work. If you want perfect circles, get a circle set. Some kind of an arc or oval is handy for curved lines.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:59 AM

I ordered a set of rulers online a couple weeks ago. With everything being so slow these day I don't expect to see them soon. I can't remember what set I ordered. I know it had a straight ruler, a wavy one, and a circle. There were several others. A set of 6. I can't wait for them to get here so I can start playing with them. It may take me awhile to get things just right but I still can't wait. I wish I could help you on what to get but I am sort of in the same place. I can let you know what I think of what I am getting once it gets here.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:05 AM

I also bought the Westalee "starter set" as juliasb did. Because there are so many rulers out there and because they are pricey, I decided that I would not buy anymore until I had learned and practised what I could do with those in the starter set. I am still happy with that decision.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:08 PM

I bought the Westalee starter set, also. It includes a good variety to learn on. Only after using this set for some time, I added their circles on quilts set. That one is fun, too. They have good teaching videos on YouTube.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I also bought their starter set and really like it. I then bought some of Angela Walters. Ruler quilting is a lot of fun!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Thanks! I'll go ahead and get the starter set. I'm looking forward to playing with them!
Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 AM

Rulers are new for me. I purchased a few to try. This is what I have discovered in my short experience:
  • They come without instructions-turn to YouTube videos
  • difficult for me to use on domestic machine, so I use washable markers to draw and follow lines
  • I like the wavy line ruler and the half circle to make what looks like a fireworks burst
  • painters tape for straight lines-do not sew over tape, it's a mess if you do
Attached Thumbnails surf-quilt-corner.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-19-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 04-20-2020, 03:28 AM

My favourite ruler of all is actually the very basic one that comes with the Westalee set...the straight edge and half-moon ruler. I use that ruler for everything.
Be sure to make good use of Leonie's videos once you get the rulers. She does really comprehensive classes on just about every ruler they sell.
I also love the Westalee Circles on Quilts set, which can be used in many different ways.

Watson
Old 04-21-2020, 10:04 AM

I went to some lecture/demos last fall, and then bought another manufacturer’s basic set (Quilter’s Rule.) I also bought their captured foot rope tool, which makes four sizes of ropes for sashing and borders. I love that one! I do seem to use the straight edge and plain curves a lot too. I now would like to get a somewhat larger radius curved ruler for curved crosshatching and Baptist Fans.

It takes a while to figure out using the rulers: how high to set the presser foot, what needle and thread to use, how far 1/4” is from a corner, etc. But I like the results a lot.

I find I do better with the Grippy spray than with any kind of grippy dots on the back. I also use Machinger gloves and a Super Slider, and they do help me. All this may just be me... I haven’t tried any of the Angela Walters rulers that come with a non-slip surface on the back, because none of the shapes have appealed to me. Maybe eventually one will.

Last edited by hray; 04-21-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Left out information