Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 AM

I love to use my embroidery machine as quilting. I'm not lucky enough to have a long arm (which is computerized so what difference would it make). I don't see the difference between using a long arm and using a single run embroidery pattern (which is for quilting). I've never done a swap but I do make and have sold a few quilts which were greatly appreciated and loved. I've had nothing but luck with mine.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Let me please clarify that I do understand it takes talent, time, and skill to do machine embroidery or computerized long arm quilting. I don't think these techniques should be eliminated or frowned upon. I just wanted to say they personally don't appeal to me. Not they they should disappear. I see it at quilt shows. They should have every opportunity to be entered. I don't see it as either/or. If you get pleasure from embroidery or do it because you can't do hand embroidery anymore that is great! You have a creative outlet that pleases you. If you have the talent and skill to set the computer for long arm quilting and enjoy it that is also great. For example I like sewing the bindings on by hand. That doesn't mean my way is "better". It's just the way that I find most satisfying. I have machine stitched a binding now and then. Also good. Like we said at the top - personal preference.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 AM

I love this thread. I have been quilting for over 30 years. I learned the really old fashion techniques, and even fought using a rotaty cutter for a while. I find that quilts that are done with any kind of programable machines are always admired more than the quilts that are simply quilted straight lined on a domestic machine. The modern technology seems to fuzz over hand work, time and talent. But - this is the reality of our times.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 AM

I like seeing what anyone does creatively. If the technology is there, and you enjoy it, go for it. I consider all of my quilts 'utilitarian, In that I use them on beds. They have all been quilted by a quilt shop close by and she uses computerized patterns. They are beautifully done. I'm happy and people who use my quilts when they come over are warm.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:06 AM

I have 2 embroidery machines and make a lot of quilts with them. I really think it is OK to like whatever makes you happy. It is your quilt and your personal preference.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 AM

I agree with you about machine embroidery is not quilting. And I do not think it compares to hand embroidery. Hand embroidery and hand quilting takes time and talent. Both need the persons talents to complete the project either for a quilt or dishtowels. In the quilt guild I belonged to at their quilt show they had machine embroidery competing with hand embroidery. I mean full quilts that did not compare. I do have a machine for embroidery and I make my quilt labels and name patches with it, but I embroidery quilt blocks and dish towels by hand. Everything has a place.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:43 AM

too bad I don't know how to add photos. I have made many embroidered quilts. cats, dogs, owls, angels flowers clowns and more and all the quilts are very nice. Fun to do too.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 AM

I am not a fan of embroidery in quilting at all. I think it has its place in sewing though as my DIL makes lovely things, but they are not quilted.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 AM

An Artist can use oils, water colours, pen and ink, chalk etc their choice of medium it does not make the finished art piece any less whatever they use, in my humble opinion. Just different, and different is ok.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 AM

There is a time and place for all. My preference is hand quilting but "reason" tells me if I want to ever get all my completed tops quilted I need to send some out to be LA'd. Have hand pieced and do enjoy it but the patterns I like show up so fast afnd furious and it's very quick to machine piece one in a couple of days as opposed to a several months hand piecing and hand quilting. My preference is minimal quilting because I don't choose to distract from the pieced top I fell in love with initially. Some of the pictures that have been posted here of LA work have been stunning and really elevated some rather otherwise humdrum quilts. I would like to see their beautiful work displayed on a whole cloth quilt. But, in the end, as long as it's pleasing to the eye, warm and serves a purpose it doesn't matter how it's accomplished. We're all different so why shouldn't our quilts be different as well.