Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do any of today's machine makers offer something similar to the featherweight? >

Do any of today's machine makers offer something similar to the featherweight?

Do any of today's machine makers offer something similar to the featherweight?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
Check out the Brother machines at Wal-Mart. They are not costly and light-weight. I have one that I use when I don't want to take my FW>
Same here - the Brother 400 is small enough for travel (and classes) and has the additional benefit of an embroidery unit to snap on. I have the 350 and it works great instead of lugging my Pfaff around.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
Check out the Brother machines at Wal-Mart. They are not costly and light-weight. I have one that I use when I don't want to take my FW>
Same here - the Brother 400 is small enough for travel (and classes) and has the additional benefit of an embroidery unit to snap on. I have the 350 and it works great instead of lugging my Pfaff around.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
The negative about piecing on a different machine while you're away is that you'll find your 1/4" will vary by machine and manufacturer. I tend to keep all my piecing projects on one machine only so that there isn't this variance in the final product. So, I guess what I'm saying is that if you work on one project on a small, travel machine you should probably keep that project for that machine only. I travel with my Janome 9000. Not a light machine but much lighter than my Bernina 830. That being said, I only use my travel machine for projects that won't be affected by the different 1/4" seam. Everyone I know, loves the travel Janomes like the Gems.

When I travel, I make sure to take the 1/4" foot that I have been working with. Most feet are snap-ons & that way you always have the same 1/4" seams.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
The Activas-210, 220, 230, 240 are being discontinued. They are/were less expensive than the 3series. The cheapest I've seen the 210 fir us $649, pricey for a travel/occasional use machine, IMO. I'd second a Brother machine for this purpose, if you don't want an actual Singer Featherweight. Brother CS6000i is around $160 and has many fans. Comes with a lots of goodies for quilters.
I have the Brother CS6000i and I love it! It is great for piecing blocks and have it with me now at a hotel. It is quiet and have had no issues at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM

If you are looking for a great computerized machine for quilting, the Janome 3160 is terrific! It has the automatic thread cutter, which is my main stay when piecing. It only weighs 12.5lbs. I take it to all of my classes. Go to the Janome website and do a comparison on this one and the Jem machine....this will give you the features side by side so you can choose.
D in TX
Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 AM

I was given a Brother 70-stitch model, and though I was initially skeptical, I love it! I have to tote it from the attic to the first floor once a week, and it feels like a feather - about 11 pounds.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 AM

When I travel, I make sure to take the 1/4" foot that I have been working with. Most feet are snap-ons & that way you always have the same 1/4" seams.
I don't know if most feet are snap ons, because mine aren't. LOL. My Bernina feet do not work on my Janome machine and vice versa. But, it is a good idea to buy a travel machine that is the same brand as your main machine so the feet will be standard.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Singer has one. I just checked on HSN.com and it is on sale for $349. It even refers to the original featherweights. Check it out at HSN.com, click on craft, sewing supplies, sewing machines. Take care.
Linda
Old 04-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Seeing that you could get a Featherweight or a 301 for about $250 or less, why not just get one of those? If you are looking at high end (Janome, Bernina) machines, they are going to cost at least that much. And they come with lots of "baggage", like extension tables, etc. The Featherweight 221 or a 301 are so simple, and you just put them in a tote and off you go.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
A used Jem Platinum would be very affordable, but the one that replaced it last May has more features. I believe the new one is about $800. It's the Janome 3160. http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...ilting/3160QDC
Wow, I bought my 2nd generation JemGold around 11 years ago(?) for $249 including case and extra feet. It's a great little machine, but unlike the FW, I don't anticipate it being around in 50 years. ;-)
I must be looking at the wrong Janome Jems. There are several on eBay listed as Janome Jem Gold 660, brand new and their price is in the $200 range. Diane you're saying Platinum, so maybe it's the wrong model I'm seeing?

I've considered an actual Featherweight, I'm just iffy on buying a vintage machine. I have several vintage Singers but haven't used them, haven't learned to oil them or do anything else for them. I'm just more comfortable with newer machines.

I really don't need anything other than a straight stitch machine though. If I need a fancy stitch or need to do applique work, I'll use my 820.

Maybe I just need to start a Grandmother's Flower Garden and have a hand project to take on the go. :)
Here is the Jem Platinum 760: http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...ecialty/Jem760

They made 3 versions of the Jem: Silver (the lowest model), Gold and Platinum (the best model). The Platinum sold for $499 for years and before the new one came out last year, the price dropped to $439. Once the new one came out in May, lots of people traded in their Platinum for the new 3160. I would think you can pick up a used Platinum for around $300 these days.

Here's a comparison of the Platinum, the 3160 and the Gold:
http://content.janome.com/index.cfm/...sh//Comparison