Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I buy a new machine? Help please >

Do I buy a new machine? Help please

Do I buy a new machine? Help please

Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Default Do I buy a new machine? Help please

I have a Janome 4800, about 7 or 8 years old, which has always been problematic. Some of you may have seen my earlier posts re thread jamming in the tension discs and the dealer saying I shouldn't use quilting threads. I haven't been able to resolve the latest jamming problem, so it needs yet another trip to the shop. At this point I have to stop and ask whether I should cut my losses and buy a new machine, as I keep handing over 50 or 60 pounds for servicing and repairs only to have it go wrong again. The main issues have been the current one of thread easily jamming in the tension discs (and finer ones, not just quilting threads) and the near-impossibility of finding a combination of tension, thread, needle etc etc that will produce FMQ with correct tension. For piecing it's wonderful - a great stitch, sews smoothly and quietly.

This machine has done so much to undermine my never strong confidence. As I've struggled with FMQ, the dealer and others have suggested that the problems are my incompetence, not the machine. Yet a friend who is an experienced quilter and the teacher in a class I went to also found it difficult. I feel that my development as a quilter has been really held back by all the issues I've had with it, all the times it's been in for repair, all the times I've just stopped sewing for ages because I was so sick of the battles with it. It's the reason that I have lots of UFOs, because the quilting was so difficult to do.

I'm retired, and the outlay on a new machine would be very significant for me - definitely a once-only purchase. I would have to be certain that I needed it and that it would be a successful purchase - ie a machine that would be reliable for both piecing and quilting and would last me a long time. My experiences with my current machine have left me quite frightened of making the decision - when I bought this one, it looked like a good buy. And I guess that at the back of my mind is the question as to whether the people who've said it's me not the machine that has the problem may be right and I'll just continue to have these struggles.

Finding a dealer is another issue. The local Janome dealer is the one who just insists that the machines can't be at fault. And when I asked him today about coming in to try a 6600, he said I wouldn't be able to spend a long time on it! This is a 1000 pound machine, so I'm hardly likely to buy it without putting it to the test! The next nearest dealer hasn't got the 6600 in stock.

I feel rather depressed and overwhelmed this evening, that I'm back to the usual problems, and not knowing what to do next.

I should say that I've also tried vintage machines. I have a Featherweight that I love dearly for piecing, and recently bought a 201 that I was hoping might do FMQ, but I'm not having a lot of joy with that so far. I believe the 301 is the best, but it wasn't sold in Europe.

Sorry, this has become a long post - I just needed to set out where I am with all this, as I feel so discouraged and confused.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM

I would probably look at another brand that has good service near you. Your dealer now isn't any help. I would be frustrated too. A good machine sews well and and is reliable. I use a Baby Lock and it is a great machine. Where you live the choices may be different. In the old days I had a couple of machines like yours and my confidence as a sewer really plumetted. I avoided sewing for years. I hope that you find a machine that you love.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Hi,

I too am in the UK and there are a lot of dealers out there that will welcome your business so stay away from your original dealer.

I have a few machines and one of them is the Janome 4900 which is the next version to yours. What I would suggest is talking to Janome or taking your machine to a different repair/Service place. Whilst I agree that Janome's can be a tad temperamental with regards to threads, once threaded correctly they work like a dream. Always ensure that the two green lights on the front of the machine are lit before threading the machine as this indicates that the machine is in the optimum position for threading. Try asking other people where they get their machines serviced..... Word of mouth is always the best form of recommendation.

I hope this helps..... If you want to chat some more about this, please feel free to PM me.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM

I am sorry to hear that your dealer is not displaying good customer service. I don't understand how he could not encourage you to try out any new machine you may potentially purchase! I don;t think the issue is you, since you are piecing no problem on your Featherweight. I think your dealer is just being an a** and that maybe you should find another dealer, even if you have to travel to visit one. (You have such a good rail system in the UK, even if you had to venture afield, it would be worth it in my opinion!)

I only learned to quilt 3 years ago, and at that time I had a $150 Brother from Wal-Mart. I kept having tension problems with it and become increasingly frustrated as I proceeded through the 4 month (once a week) night school class that I was taking. After taking it in for the 3rd time while still in the class, the dealer told me that I was putting good money after bad. That's when I decided to save for my Janome 4100QDC, and it made all the difference. I was able to justify the cost because I knew that I was hooked, and spending money on a good machine is important if quilting is something that you really love.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM

I understand your pain.

With regard to the dealer that insists the problem is you ... have these people actually shown you themselves that FMQ can be done on YOUR machine, or are they just telling you that it can be? If they have not shown you, I would start there and tell them that if they can do it properly while you watch you'll believe that you are the culprit.

With regard to you ... have you been able to FMQ successfully on a different machine? If not, you need to try. Wheter it is a friends machine, or a machine at a dealer (bring your own sandwich to quilt), you need to try it to make sure that YOU can do it. Since your clearly not experienced at it for lack of a good machine that allows you to practice a lot - don't expect it to be perfect, but you should be able to do it to some extent.

IF the dealer cannot duplicate FMQ on YOUR machine, and IF YOU can duplicate FMQ on another machine - then yes, the new machine might just be the ticket.

I honestly don't understand your dealers statement that you might not be able to have much time on the machine, that's pretty weird and counteproductive to selling a machine. So what I would do is take all the time you can on the machine, even it's in multiple sessions, then if you decide you like it - order it from the other dealer (who I'm sure will be happy to stock it if he knows he has a sale!!). Again, don't discount used machines either.

But before I laid out money I would be sure that the machine is what I needed. So you need an experienced quilter to try your machine, and you need to try others. Perhaps there is a guild or an LQS that hosts sew-ins and you can try other machines.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi,

I too am in the UK and there are a lot of dealers out there that will welcome your business so stay away from your original dealer.

I have a few machines and one of them is the Janome 4900 which is the next version to yours. What I would suggest is talking to Janome or taking your machine to a different repair/Service place. Whilst I agree that Janome's can be a tad temperamental with regards to threads, once threaded correctly they work like a dream. Always ensure that the two green lights on the front of the machine are lit before threading the machine as this indicates that the machine is in the optimum position for threading. Try asking other people where they get their machines serviced..... Word of mouth is always the best form of recommendation.

I hope this helps..... If you want to chat some more about this, please feel free to PM me.
Thanks Caroline. I've talked to Janome several times - their customer service people in Stockport are very helpful. Their suggestions re FMQ focus on choice of thread - and I don't always want to use embroidery thread! (Though it does tend to be more successful than some of the others). I could actually take the machine to them to be serviced, as they're not far from here, but they charge a lot (over 100 pounds minimum), so it's back to the question of whether I should invest any further in this machine.
I wish I could find a good dealer! I don't know enough quilters in my part of England to get any recommendations - though I've heard some negatives about more than one of them. I'd certainly be prepared to travel if I could find the right place. I also need to look beyond Janome, I think - there's a nearby Husqvarna/Pfaff dealership which does get good recommendations. I don't know of anywhere else other than the dealer's where I could get the machine serviced in this area. My only other contact is in Northumberland, which is a bit far at this time of the year!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I understand your pain.

With regard to the dealer that insists the problem is you ... have these people actually shown you themselves that FMQ can be done on YOUR machine, or are they just telling you that it can be? With regard to you ... have you been able to FMQ successfully on a different machine?

I honestly don't understand your dealers statement that you might not be able to have much time on the machine, that's pretty weird and counteproductive to selling a machine. So what I would do is take all the time you can on the machine, even it's in multiple sessions, then if you decide you like it - order it from the other dealer (who I'm sure will be happy to stock it if he knows he has a sale!!). Again, don't discount used machines either.

But before I laid out money I would be sure that the machine is what I needed. So you need an experienced quilter to try your machine, and you need to try others. Perhaps there is a guild or an LQS that hosts sew-ins and you can try other machines.

Good luck.
Thanks. Yes, I've done successful FMQ on other machines - in fact one time when I did, I started to cry, because I'd been so sure I was hopeless at it. And yes, the dealer did manage to produce a bit of reasonable FMQ on my machine, which is one reason I've persevered. But he was using a fine thread, which always works better, and it was only a small sample. And when I took the machine to an FMQ class last year, the teacher struggled.

Unbelievable, isn't it, that he'd expect me to hand over 1000 pounds after only a short session on the machine. Like buying a car without driving it or having it checked. I gather that his concern is that people try them out at length in the shop, then go and buy online. Though as UK prices appear to be totally fixed, wherever you buy from, I can't see why that's a problem.

You're right - I need to try some other machines. I don't know many quilters in this area, and those I do know are lucky enough to have Berninas, which are right out of my price range.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM

I can only add that I agree with the great advice the others have given you...and that I especially don't understand why a dealer would presume to even suggest, let alone say that the fmq problems are ALL user related...pardon my english (lol)..but, "How rude". I hope you won't let that hamper you, and please know that I for one have been working on my fmq technique for a while now, and I still have days where I think, I actually have got this down...then the next day, BAM! Right back to a big mess!!!
Good luck to you,
Kif
Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM

I have never used quilting thread but on my Janome 7700 I have used upholstery thread and never had a problem. I think that is thicker thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM

I am so sorry that you are having a problem. I think it is a dealer problem. I have a Janome 4800, and have had no problems with it at all. I have had it for quite awhile, and have only had a couple of repairs--one totally my fault. I forgot that the needle threader was down and broke it. The shop where I bought it fixed it for free. The other problem I had was the bobbin winder quit working and that was fixed when I took it in for routine service. That didn't cost anything either. I am wondering if your inexperience sewing is contributing to your problems. Again, I am so sorry that you are having a problem and wish I was near enough to help you with the machine. If there is anything I can do to advise you, send me a pm and I will try.
Sue