Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need stabilizer? >

Do I need stabilizer?

Do I need stabilizer?

Old 06-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Default Do I need stabilizer?

Haven't posted in such a long time, but need to know something I'm not familiar with. Working on a quilt top that has applique on it. Pattern calls for wool applique, but since I have so much quilting cotton I've opted to use that instead. I have used Misty Fuse for the applique pieces to hold them in place so they won't move around on me. But not sure if I should use a stabilizer behind these blocks. Would you use on iron on, a sew in, or none at all. Thank you ladies for your help. Hope I got this link correct...
https://www.facebook.com/LeesCreativ...type=3&theater
Old 06-13-2020, 05:31 AM

I’m working on a raw edge applique right now. I used Steam a Seam Lite (iron on) and the stitching around the edges is fine. I’m not sure what the stitch is called, but it goes “stitch, stitch, stitch, zig into the applique.” When I tried just using zig zig or blanket stitch there was some tunnelling.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I’m working on a raw edge applique right now. I used Steam a Seam Lite (iron on) and the stitching around the edges is fine. I’m not sure what the stitch is called, but it goes “stitch, stitch, stitch, zig into the applique.” When I tried just using zig zig or blanket stitch there was some tunnelling.
Sounds like the blind hem stitch.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

It depends on which stitch you plan to use to stitch the appliqués down with. A buttonhole stitch should be fine without stabilizer. Straight stitch 1/8 in on the edge of the appliqués will be fine too. A tiny open zig zag will also be fine but a dense satin stitch may cause tunnelling without stabilizer. “ Tunnelling” is when the satin stitch bumps up to form a tunnel and it distorts and wrinkles the background fabric.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:24 AM

I should have added that I want to use a machine blanket stitch on my applique.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I should have added that I want to use a machine blanket stitch on my applique.
I do quite a bit of machine appliqué both with the blanket stitch and satin stitch. My machine is a Husqvarna Sapphire 870Q and the finished product looks better with a stabilizer behind when stitching. I just use a plain newsprint that is easy to tear away without distorting my stitches. Some machines don't seem to require the stabilizer, my friend had a Bernina not sure what model and she never used a stabilizer and got good results. Maybe do a practice piece first with both methods and see which one you prefer?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:10 AM

I call this stitch the blanket stitch and it imitates hand appliqué. You can regulate how deep a bite it takes into the design to get the look you want.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:07 AM

I usually use stabilizer, yes.

I saw just the other day that Donna Jordan, I think it was, used copy paper! Hey, why not if you don't have any regular handy?

Watson
Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Gay

I mostly use copy paper, even for machine embroidery, If I soak the finished square in warm water, the paper comes away easily.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:57 PM

I have always used a stabilizer when doing applique. I feel it keeps my points crisp and the curves don't move as easily. Depending on the fabrics dictates how heavy of a stabilizer it needs to be.