Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I paper piece this? Is there a pattern?

I don't know what this star/cross is called. My friend just had her leg amputated due to diabetes. She asked me to make her a quilt for her bed to match her tatoo. It is a butterfly with five start/crosses around it. She says the stars are "The power of five" Her deceased grandmother, mother, daughter, herself and her living grandaughter. She wants black and whites and primary colored butterflies. However, her husband has to sleep under it, so I am trying different options to keep it toned down. The attached is just one of the possibilities. I used tiger skin fabric to make butterflies and will applique them on. My 1st question: The stars - Do I paper piece them? (I've never done it before, but I will learn to do this if that's best).

This may or may not be the final design - any suggestions?
    Name:  Attachment-83004.jpe
Views: 94
Size:  1.49 MB

I'd paper piece the block then applique the butterfly on it.

Blog Entries
    I agree paper piece the star and applique the butterfly :wink: Do you have an embroidery machine ? That is also an option

I don't have an embroidery machine but the tigers skin fabric makes awesome monarch butterflies. Very dramatic. Is there a pattern for this cross or is it considered a star?

I would use a Five Pointed Star and probably paper piece it but I might applique it instead. How large is it going to be?

Pam
    I would go with the 5 pointed star, is sounds like this has special meaning to her (?) Or did I get that wrong?. Paper piecing is the way to go with any of these complex stars. While the one you have shown is very pretty, it is a traditional mariner's compass. Can you sneak us a picture of her tatoo?

I think I would applique it. It would be easy to trace the pattern onto fabric and then cut it out. You could always do a small satin stitch for the dark lines.

You could use the clover bias 1/4 inch tape like we do on the stained glass effect. Just trace the star design on to your background fabric and then outline it with the tape. What a challenge.

I would paper piece the star - I think it would be the best way to get the fine points at the tips.

It is going to be beautiful. And have so much meaning for her. I would PP the stars. Your butterflies look like they will be beautiful. Please post a pic when you get started. I would love to see the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I would go with the 5 pointed star, is sounds like this has special meaning to her (?) Or did I get that wrong?. Paper piecing is the way to go with any of these complex stars. While the one you have shown is very pretty, it is a traditional mariner's compass. Can you sneak us a picture of her tatoo?
    It's a bad picture, but here's her tattoo. I don't even know if this is the quilt lay out I want - I still very much in the planning stage. I just think the five stars need to be there because they're so symbolic to her. Of course, the butterflies too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh sorry, she wants king size for her bed. (Yikes - I've only made one that big before but anything for her - she's been a dear friend for over 30 years.)

Based on the picture of her tatoo, should the stars be black?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Oh sorry, she wants king size for her bed. (Yikes - I've only made one that big before but anything for her - she's been a dear friend for over 30 years.)
    That happened with my DIL, too - I was thinking couch size - instead of a football field!

I would make the stars out of a multi-batik. MHO

Power Poster
    This is the thread for a black and white and bright block exchange - you might get some ideas if you scroll through the whole thing.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-41013-1.htm

I would PP the star behind the butterfly. The butterflies are perfect. The star should be something that will not take away from that butterfly. I love the rest of the quilt also. Nice job in planning. What a good friend you are. Keep us posted as to your final decisions etc.

Power Poster
    As far as tattoos go, it's an attractive one.

It's definitely an 8-pointed star.

Do you think she might be interested in co-designing this with you?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    As far as tattoos go, it's an attractive one.

It's definitely an 8-pointed star.

Do you think she might be interested in co-designing this with you?
    I've told her when I get maybe 3 design choices I'll show them to her and we'll modify or start over then. There are just too many going through my head right now. I did just learn that her master bath is black, white and gray. (I told her she needs to add some color in there-maybe the quilt will be her inspiration to add an accent color) Is there a pattern and PP instructions somewhere for this star?

Pam
    This is a very common star and you should not have a hard time finding a pattern. I suggest going to the library and checking out a book on Mariner's compass. All the instructions you could ever want would be right there for you.

Is this just the foundation of the mariners compass? In other words if I get the mariners compass instructions, I just do the first few steps and stop correct?

Pam
    That is how I would do it. Just follow the directions for the size of the star that you want and adapt to your own layout and pattern. I make up stuff up all of the time, put different things together to make it my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    That is how I would do it. Just follow the directions for the size of the star that you want and adapt to your own layout and pattern. I make up stuff up all of the time, put different things together to make it my own.
    Thanks Pam - I'll see what I can find. Appreciate your help.
    Gayle

Pam
    You are welcome Gayle, please PM me if you need anything and SERIOUSLY consider paper piecing the stars. I taught this class and I think it would be very difficult to do with just pieces cut from templates.

The stars don't look pieced in your pic, they just look like lines. Perhaps you might consider quilting the lines of the star? If you do want to PP them, it would be easy to draw it out. Its going to be lovely, what a wonderful friend you are!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast