Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I want a serger??? >

Do I want a serger???

Do I want a serger???

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I have the same serger, mine is about 8 or 9 years old and the motor has seized. The replacement motor is no longer available. It was a good serger but I would not buy another one. My DH took it apart and said that the gear assembly is wearing and doesn't seem well designed to him. It has not been used for an extended amount of time either. $400 seems like a lot to me for an older model machine that only cost $800 to start with. I am planning on buying a Baby Lock to replace it.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I have an Elna and it is the pits to thread, but I do use it an awful lot. Have several men in the family and hemming pants is what I use it for. Finishing the edges.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 AM

Used my serger all the time (Pfaff) when I made clothing, but since I started quilting, it sits in the closet collecting dust bunnies.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 AM

I have two - one I bought years ago and another I inherited. I can't say really have an issue with the threading if I just follow the diagrams. They both have the air threading system so maybe not as difficult as some. I almost never use them, but mostly because it's not out and ready to go. If all I had to do was sit down and go, would probably use it a lot more. Maybe I'll do that and see!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 AM

I have 2 sergers set up all the time. I do a lot of custom, weird, or just plain strange, sewing requests. I love sergers and have no trouble threading them. If any of you ladies want yours out of the way...
I have only used them in quilting to go around the edge before binding. I think it makes binding the quilt easier, but it isn't necessary.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 AM

I love my serger don't know what I did without it . when to girls and grandchildren come by and want me to shorten pants there it is in fact I have 2 will never get rid off them good for edging fabric before washing I don't use the sergeer for piecing quilts but have known to made a swimsuit or 2 or used on jersey fabric helps with the streach of the fabric. as for threading the machine I just cut the thread close to the old spool and tie the new spool on and gently pull the thread through being careful when you get to the needles you might have to pull each thread through singly good luck. Noella
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 AM

I have had a serger since they came out for home use in the 80's. I began with a Pfaff, then had a Bernina, but once I latched onto Babylock with air threading I never looked back. My first was the eclipse purchased via mail when I was stationed in Germany. I used and abused that little serger for nearly 20 years. Sold it, it still worked but I wanted a new one, so I purchased the Babylock Imagine. Then I wanted the coverstitch, so I purchased the Evolution. I use them both, love them both, and would have no other brand, as far as sergers go. I can whip up clothing for my granddaughters or myself in a flash, especially knits. All my clothing is finished inside. I am also a quilter, but I do not use the serger for any aspect of quilting, it puts too many threads into the seams and could make unnecessary bulk where you don't want it. For clothing construction and home dec, it cannot be beat. I would stay away from any serger that requires x-ray vision and standing on your head to thread. I push a button and WHOOSH, the loopers are threaded. I love Bernina sewing machines, but in the Serger arena, only a Babylock will do. Michelle
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 AM

I never bonded with mine...........yes, I have taken 2 3 day seminars, and had class free when I purchased it, too much changing, needles, feet, tension.........and I have poor vision and I thought the stitch was ok, but was told it wasn't ....either too loose, ..........calla
Old 07-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a Singer serger and I had to keep taking it to the dealer's to get it rethreaded. I used it approximately one hour and now it's been sitting in my sewing room untouched for two years. It cost me $600. I'll never use it again.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 AM

I bought a used BabyLoc serger from a friend (he "recovers" items from Yard Sales) OILED oiled oiled, it still sewed a very balanced stitch. Threading was miserable, because my fingers are too big for space, finally got a tool that "helps" thread, BUT worked like crazy for 30 minutes, then the feed dogs would sieze up. Research, this is a known issue, and is not easily fixed. Friend sold it on eBay for parts. Used that money to buy a BRAND NEW Brother 1043D. LOVE it! Easy to thread, lots of options, and came with the Ruffler foot and Differential feed feed dogs. My DD is having a girl next month, and this is one baby who will wear ruffles. and pillows will have ruffles. I just need to have it on a "solid" table. The serger has a lot more motion than my sewing machines! (FAST!) I love it and am so glad. This opens a whole new way to use shiny threads for decoration. And I could see doing a "reverse seam" quilt, especially with some of the cool quilting variegated threads out there!

My advice, try them out first. find a friend who has one, check at fabric shop, take or buy some material you don't mind testing. Have them show you the threading, and if you do buy one, READ the book, watch the video's and KEEP the book where you can get to it at all times! LOL, I've learned that one the hard way. put it all away, neat and tidy. NOT. Sergers are not just for knit clothes anymore!