Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE! >

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Well, I can't say that I press after every seam, but I've never compared pressing versus not, I will try it and compare the two. Thanks!

Originally Posted by miholmes
Yeah Kaye had a great way to describe finger pressing she said, "Here's the best iron you can get when piecing." and wiggled her thumb.

Then she said, "Need steam?" and licked her thumb....cracked me up.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM

I was born with an iron on my hands, but can understand how it distorts the fabrics.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I have tired it before and it drove me nuts but I am a big time ironer. I might give it a try again. The only place it seems to work for me is with a log cabin but even them I prefer to iron.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

i Love Kaye! yup, i actually do both, it just depends on what i'm working on but i love working on blocks that i do not have to press until they are finished. I have not done a whole quilt without pressing along the way; but i made all the blocks without pressing during construction, then i pressed them all, then i did construct the quilt without pressing again until i was done. it saves tons of time...and i love doing it this way when hand piecing too. :thumbup: and Kaye is so... inspiring!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I used to iron just when the block was done and they were ready to put together to make the full quilt top. Then I started ironing more often. Now iron less again.

But I actually rarely pin anything! Unless the seam line-up tends to give me a LOT of trouble being even. I figure if I've cut it right and hold my fingers on the seams to be sewn and hold my head at the right angle.... lol
Yes, and sticking out my tongue helps too.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM

I've done log cabins and not pressed until the block is finished. I think it depends on the block.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM

i very seldom press i see no reason when you pay att to the way your seams run
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM

I recently started starching my fabrics before cutting. Now I find that I can finger press most seams to my satisfaction and iron when the block is done.
I don't use pins very often, only if I'm joining two rows together and pin at each block intersection. That way if I need to ease some fab one way or the other, I have the whole width of the block to do it. Sometimes I find pins distort the block and send my points off.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
What kind of block did you try this on? I'm wondering if it would work on a pieced log cabin.
I was taught this on a Log Cabin block , & it really works well. The lady that taught me said the Log Cabin block loses it's shape when pressing after every seam.
Greeter Eva
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM

I do not iron until a block is completely sewn and usually not until the entire quilt top is constructed. I have very few problems getting everything to meet where it needs to, BUT if I do need to make adjustments, it is so much more difficult to make the corrections if the seams have already been pressed. I am also not fond of spending the time it takes to press as I go nor do I like to keep my iron hot for hours at a time while I'm sewing.