Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do quilters believe that imitation..... >

Do quilters believe that imitation.....

Do quilters believe that imitation.....

Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM

What about all the designs that Jenny from Missouri Quilt Co makes. I have copied several of hers. Not selling them, but giving them to family and friends. I don't consider that stealing or infringement.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM

If you loved it that much - and you posted on their thread - go look at your post history - it may be there. You could always send a PM now and see if this was an original design. Or sketch it out and post it here. Ask if this is anyones original design or if it looks like one that's been around...
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't copy any original art quilts anyway but on the Janet Fogg website it says: Please enjoy viewing them but respect the artist by not copying them. Anyone making a quilt to look like hers will be disrepecting her not breaking the copyright law.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM

I believe that to have a copyright you need to do some legal work.
http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-copyr...QodKx4ALw&sc=s
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM

There seem to be so many different opinions. Personally, I'd be flattered! I think we are all creative and if we can make it from just looking at a picture why shouldn't we! No you can't steal someone's pattern to Sell as your own but personal use isn't stealing it's creating for yourself.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

No legal work is required to have a copyright, but if you wish to register it you can. This will help you in case you have to go to court to protect your copyright.

Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I believe that to have a copyright you need to do some legal work.
http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-copyr...QodKx4ALw&sc=s
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I Agree! Some wont even share a patten name even when it is not their own design.Reminds me off the stuffy old ladies when I was a kid that wouldn't share recipes lololololol
BEST form of flattery in my book. Don't let the stuffies sreal yoir joy!
I totally agree with raedar63 and Tartan, if anybody sees anything of mine I would be honored if they wanted to make the same thing. I will share the name of any pattern I have made so someone else can purchase it. There is nothing worse than when someone won't share the name of a pattern but they are first in line to ask the name of yours. I feel if you don't want to share then don't post it.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I wouldn't copy any original art quilts anyway but on the Janet Fogg website it says: Please enjoy viewing them but respect the artist by not copying them. Anyone making a quilt to look like hers will be disrepecting her not breaking the copyright law.
Her post also says - "The quilts featured on
this site are all original pieces of art by Janet Fogg. They will not be
patterned and are protected under copyright law.
"
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM

I haven't read this entire thread, but seriously?? Stealing?? If someone saw a quilt I had made and wanted to make one like it, I'd be totally flattered that they liked my quilt so much. I agree with whoever said that quilting had gotten so hung up on copyright issues. If I buy a pattern and make it up in exactly the same fabrics used on the pattern photo, is that stealing?? Classic quilt block patterns have been around for so long, who even knows where they originated. Where does it all end if a person can't make a quilt they admire for themselves?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Showing and sharing our quilts on the board is exactly what this board is all about. Yes, some people do come up with "true" originals. Isn't that great? Most of our work is based on traditional patterns ( even ones with a twist) and color choices are as individual as any person's collection of fabric. Yes, you can buy kits - or all the fabric used in a quilt from many X and Sew companies. Then you have a copy. Flattering someone by emulating their design and color choices is how we learn what we do. If everything posted on line were copywrited - I'd surely be looking for some royalties! Instead, I'm looking for ideas and inspiration - just like you are.