Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do quilters save all scraps!

I am attempting to make a postage stamp quilt. I am cutting my squares at 1-1/2" square and using up my material scraps to do it. I have heard from this board that some quilters don't throw away any of their scraps. I'm not planning on making anything smaller than the 1-1/2" squares, so what do I do with the leftovers? I am also thinking about making some quilted potholders later on and was wondering if I could use the real tiny pieces as filler for the potholders? Suggestions as to what to do with teeny weeny material pieces?

Blog Entries
    I keep scraps then post on here to give away with sase. I need to do it again! I don't save crumbs as they call the tiny pieces but some want them I'm told. Not sure what size crumb is tho! Nor sure if u can use in pot holder. Could save for pet bed tho. I have done that! Made quite a few this winter. Humane society liked them. Friends also grabbed a dew!!

We have a lady here locally who takes all tiny scraps of fabric and uses them as filling for dog beds for our local shelter. I like saving the "crumbs" for a good use like this.

I love scraps and remnants, it is all I can do to give them away sometimes. I become personally attached to my fabric.

those tiny pieces are great for paper piecing projects. I dont toss hardly anything away... and yes, pet bed stuffing is great!

I donate them to he school art teacher. The children make collages with them.

You could use them to make a mosaic quilt, like
    http://cabbagequilts.blogspot.com/20...ed-mosaic.html

Blog Entries
    Not me.

I used to save anything 3x3 or bigger. I've now started to save smaller pieces, such as the triangular pieces resulting from trimming a flying geese block. I use these as starter pieces for my chain piecing. It's a whole lot easier than keeping the pesky starter thread out of the way.

I save all scraps, then I cut down to 1 1/2 inches. That's as small as I go, next place is trash can. What I throw out is very small pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric lover
    Oh no! Another project for my quilting bucket list. Thanks a lot! :lol: Just bookmarked it :thumbup:

I read a post a while back where a quilter put out her tiny pieces for the birds to use when building their nests. As long as they're not Blue-jays, I'm okay with that. A Blue-jay dived bombed my cat once. She was probably stalking one at the time.

I throw my scraps in a tubby. I use it for applique and sometimes I make a scrappy quilt.

Wow I've never seen anything quite like that. Talk about small pieces and then sewing around each one!!! Don't think I'd be giving that quilt away or be letting anyone use it either for that matter once I got finished with it.

Blog Entries
    Ohhhh you won't like to hear what large scraps I toss away. If it's less than 1/2yd I usually throw it out. I just don't have the room in my small apartment to keep everything.

I make small crumb blocks. 3.5" square, finishing at 3". Also will make great stuffing as needed~

I really like this pattern!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 749janet
    I am attempting to make a postage stamp quilt. I am cutting my squares at 1-1/2" square and using up my material scraps to do it. I have heard from this board that some quilters don't throw away any of their scraps. I'm not planning on making anything smaller than the 1-1/2" squares, so what do I do with the leftovers? I am also thinking about making some quilted potholders later on and was wondering if I could use the real tiny pieces as filler for the potholders? Suggestions as to what to do with teeny weeny material pieces?
    I save everything they make fun scrappy blocks if you just start sewing the snifflets together.

Billy

I save 1" wide strips. Each color has a box, so the cut up pieces go in there too. I have used very small pieces when fusing, so the 1" isn't too small for me to keep.

A member of our quilt group takes them and makes pillow(beds) for local animal shelter..they love them!!

I cut mine into 2.5" strips/squares, 3.5" strips/squares, 5" and 6.5"

Wonky scraps and strips 3/4" up to 2" go into a box for crumb blocks

Then occasionally I get overwelmed with my scraps and post a note on freecycle to get rid of a bunch of it. Then I start missing making crumb blocks and collect my scraps again.

A local lady makes bedding for shelter animals so everything less then 3/4" goes to her. Then she goes through the bags of scraps she receives and pull out the bigger strips and pieces and offers them to me. It's a endless circle.

Here's what I do. I save everything, thread, etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

pocoellie's collages are great! Great use of snippets and leftovers! I don't throw anything away, either! I've made a couple of pieces that I used on a vest; they look neat on a handbag or tote and as table toppers. I've seen framed collages for sale at $25 for a 5x7. Possibilities are endless!

I save my scraps .. its amazing how fast they grow! I have learned all fabrics go together if you work with small pieces and the more different fabrics the better! I have a sister that does not save any scraps .. it makes me a bit crazy to see what goes into her trash! I have begged her to throw them into a box .. but she does not like to have the clutter of it.

Blog Entries
    I toss all scraps into two big tall narrow clothes hampers. One for darks and one for lights. It's easy to pull from them the contrast I need. After the hampers get packed full I take them to my free community quilt class I teach and dump the out on tables and let everyone have a blast digging through them. Even me! I find scraps I haven't seen in a long time that I remember I loved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast