Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do these rulers do the same thing? >

Do these rulers do the same thing?

Do these rulers do the same thing?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Do these rulers do the same thing?

I've been thinking about buying the Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmer triangle rulers. There are 2 in a package but they are pretty expensive - about $32. I just saw Eleanor Burns on The Quilt Show and she used her Triangle trimmer ruler on some HST. It appeared to do the same thing...you put it on the stitching line and trim. It cost about $14 for the 6 1/2
inch size which would take care of pretty much any size I would need. Does anyone know if these 2 rulers do the same thing? If not, what the difference is. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:28 PM

I won a set of the Clearly Perfect, and I think the biggest difference is the CPST has slots where you can trim off the dog ears while trimming your HST. I've only used them a couple of times but I thought it seemed to cut the blocks on the small side...then again it could be operator error
Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM

Thanks Suzi. I've been watching a couple of you tube videos closely since I posted this and I think they do the same thing the same way. The QIAD ruler has both measurements on one ruler and the CPST uses 2 rulers - one for whole numbers and the other for the 1/2 inch size. Glad you won the rulers...saved a good amount of money.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I have used the QIAD one and it works fine. I haven't used the slotted ones, I don't do all that great with cutting in slots. What I use now is Block Loc ruler for hsts. Still not perfect though. I also like these rulers because it is no fail but more detailed to use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZaELc7NGA&t=35s
Old 10-30-2018, 03:38 AM

I have the Eleanor Burns one and love it. It squares HST with 2 cuts instead of 4. You do have the dog ears to contend with however. I've looked at the Clearly Perfect ones and the only difference I can see is the dog ear issue. For me snipping off the dog ears after I pressed wasn't a big deal and not worth the extra cost.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 AM

I got my CP trimmer on Amazon, and didn't pay that high price. I have other trimmers but found them annoying to use. I really like the slotted trimmer, and the fact that the dog ears get trimmed while in the trim stage, and not as another separate step I have to remember to do. We all have our favorite tools to use, not everyone likes the same as us. It's like my mother who always cut cabbage for cole slaw with a large butcher knife. Me, I use a shredder, the thought of handling that butcher knife on a cabbage gives me the willies.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree grann of 6. I ordered a set to try after watching the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHEGRm84GU
Old 10-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I will order the QIAD ruler because it's almost half the price and does appear to do the same thing as the CP trimmer. Also from what I saw on a you tube video, you just flip the ruler to cut off the dog ears. I'm also not that good with using slots.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Also from what I saw on a you tube video, you just flip the ruler to cut off the dog ears.
No you don't flip the ruler, it never gets moved off the fabric.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM

I have the QIAD ruler and yes, you flip it upside down to trim the dog ears.