Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by RST
To have a preference, one has to have the awareness that there is an option. Hence my question in the first place.

I too am surprised that this thread continues -- though I would have thought it would go in different directions, say, that certain publishers encourage or discourage their authors from promoting methods that require the purchase of rulers and cutting boards. Do they? Sometimes I have wondered.

Or that it could be a regional thing, with people in the midwest holding fast to the venerable traditions of the craft, while upstarts in the West, and Australia, for pity's sake, take to doing wild things and slapping quilts together with no regard for the decorum of process. Oh, wait, I learned to strip piece while I lived in Michigan, and that's pretty midwestern. And unless the quilt board folks are fibbing on their location statuses, that doesn't hold true.

Maybe a generational thing? Hipsters follow the bloggers?

Whatever. That's apparently not the direction the conversation was destined to go.

To above poster -- you are correct. Strip piecing does not lend itself well to hand work. It could be done, maybe. But it would not be fun or pretty or very efficient. It's a technique that is born of the modern world of tight, regular, quick machine stitching. But that's not to say that you can't piece some very tradtional looking blocks out of vintage fabrics using the method.

RST
So what if you wanted to do both? Say you do the strip piecing on machine then finish block by hand? Probably sounds awful but I love the hand work and also see that the strip piecing could be valuable when working with small pieces. The thread is interesting as long as posters do not become negative with those who do not agree.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RST
Leslie -- While I was taught to press seams closed always, I have, over the years, sometimes chosen to press open -- if it works better. I have no dog in that fight. I'm also very wishy-washy about always prewashing (tongue twister, anyone?)

But when I buy a pattern (which is very rare) or a book or mag, I really, really do expect the author to give very clear, concise, efficient directions and yardage requirements. A big part of why I don't buy patterns and books is that this expectation is not always met. It's also why I won't do mystery quilts and am leery about quilt-alongs (unless they give full info from the get go). However, there is obviously a market for them, and people who like working that way, so good for them. And I hope that in their travels through the world of quilting, they learn some very useful tips and tricks and techniques that will help them through the frustrating parts -- which, I would like to think-- this thread has actually done for at least one person.

RST
RST:
I bit my tongue when it came to the mystery/qal topic! For me, I spend too much money to not know what the end product will look like! Yeah, so I'm a control freak!
(just shoot me now! lol)
And I don't even go down the "to prewash or not" road. I don't, but I happen like the feel of unwashed fabric and I find it easier to cut but that's just me. By all means, if someone wants to spend the time and energy to prewash, more power to them! Besides, I hate to iron it after washing.
In general, I think we're a lot a like in our methods and thinking when it comes to quilting.

Like you I rarely buy patterns or books and have gotten to the point that I will open a pattern/book/magazine in the store prior to purchasing just to see what type of instructions are given. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way.
Next time you have a question that might set the world on fire, shoot me a PM and we'll have our own discussion!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
RST

Mamafrank-- I've never done a hybrid block as you describe, but I don't see why not. Give it a try and report back to us : ) It might become the next big thing in quilting, meeting the need for both authenticity and speed. Or you might find that the block was not uniform - I know my hand piecing (and yes, I have handpieced full sized quilts, though I prefer not to anymore) has a "softer" look. Could just be my handwork, or the fabrics I was using at that stage, or any number of factors I suppose.

Leslie -- give me a day or two to come up with a worthy topic to dish on : )

RST

RST
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

To each his own is right Neena. ;)

If you're going to put a thought or idea out here in a public forum, you're bound to encounter people who disagree with you. You're right RST, LOL, I too can be forward, when I feel so motivated. :)

I see that there are a number of people who think you are just in your line of questioning, and a number who like me, were a bit turned off by it, and that's ok, I'm not here to convert the masses! Lol*

I think this hit a nerve with me because I personally have encountered a lot of quilting ladies with big egos who sort of critisize and walk around as if their voices carry a lot of weight - or they feel it SHOULD carry weight among those who dare to stand in their presence. LOL* When I was new to quilting some of those ladies really discouraged and intimidated me. Now I'm a little older, a little wiser, and much more confident in my own knowledge and skills.

While I truly don't believe you intended it RST, and I mean that sincerely, I do think some of your comments did come off with a bit of that huff and puff ego. It got under my skin a little, and probably much of that has to do with my own lingering feelings of resentment from personal experiences, rather than your posts.

I would some day love to teach quilting, and I think the most valuable thing I can take away from this discussion is that we are all diverse in our way of thinking. That doesn't necessarily make any one of us wrong, but just, different. I think I can handle that...

and I think I also have learned you just can't please everyone. ;) So I'm off to do some actual sewing just to please myself. Lol* :)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
RST

Interesting, pumpkinpatch. I may have an ego, but it's not wrapped up in quilting. I am strictly a hobbyist, and I do it because it makes me happy. I have no aspirations to teach, blog, design, instruct -- nada. I've quilted for a long time simply because I found my love of fabric and design at an early age. And I still learn new techniques and ideas almost every day. I even try out new things on a regular basis, and sometimes fail spectacularly at them. But even when I end up making the quintessential ugly quilt, I still love the hobby.

You suggested that it would be better form to privately email the bloggers /designers. But the thing is, I was never commenting about a single individual or even two or three. I was commenting on a trend that seems to be widespread. To me it would seem quite obsessive and odd to email each and every person who I see giving directions that seem overly labor intensive or inefficient. My goal has never been to "set anyone straight" -- just to contemplate what factors might play into a swing of the instructional pendulum towards less "efficiency" and toward more "dang, that's a lot of tiny pieces of fabric".

I'm sure you'll bring a great deal of passion to your teaching, and with your background of experiencing what you felt to be condescending attitudes toward you, will be much more sensitive to your students. Maybe you can also encourage them to be confident enough in their own skins to not feel threatened or attacked by diverse opinions and approaches.

Becoming older and wiser myself (as a quilter and as a generalized human being) I have learned never to take discussions of ideas and things as personal attack. That, and I wear my big girl panties each and every day.

RST
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM

I take online tutorials the same way as anything else on the internet - with a grain of salt and a tablespoon of common sense.
There are Youtube videos on how to quilt that show the user using dull scissors to freehand cut out pieces, and then pin together with a handful of pins and then sew over them.
Just because there is a video - doesn't mean the maker is an expert.
Now, for a well known quilter to post a technique like piecing so many small parts, I would think it was about learning the process, rather than the final product.
IMHO
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
RST

tradj -- why I believe I've seen that self-same youtube video. Did the poster claim to have invented the 9-patch block and announce they were getting it copyrighted?

Bless their hearts.

RST
Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm in the midwest but I have no attachment to the traditional ways and I will take any shortcut I can think of (or others can think of). However I am actually from California and before that, military bases (aka all over the place), so maybe I'm not really a midwesterner after all. :p
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM

After reading every post, I have to add my thoughts -

RST, I got no sense of 'ego' from your posts. I think you seem confident. And I think that's great.

I think it is a valid question you asked. It is hard for me to imagine that anyone would choose to do things the slower, less efficient way. I don't think that because I am strapped for time (although I am :P ) but because there are so many quilts to make that I will never make all the patterns I want. I am going to strive to make as many of them as possible and so I want efficient processes. I can and do enjoy the journey more driving 65mph than I would at 35mph. So I get where you are coming from, even if many feel differently.

And I must say that it has been an amazing thread to read. Clearly there are differing opinions and the question hit a sore points for some but the tone has remained civil throughout. Congratulations to everyone who posted for the level of discourse even while disagreeing. :thumbup:
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM

I have enjoyed this thread also, and I too feel that RST had no ego agenda when she posed the question.

When I teach my quilt class at the local college, I constantly remind my students that there is more than one way to do everything. The 'right' way is the way that works best for YOU. As our classes are limited in space and time, I teach methods that are fast and fun. If you don't like the first way I show to create XY, I'm sure I can show you another way or three to make the same XY.

Throughout this thread, I never felt that anyone believed 'my way or the highway.' If you really want to cut hundreds of small pieces, for whatever reason, no one is going to stop you. There is something to be said for basic skill building. There is also something to be said for setting people up to succeed, rather than fail. Now before that statement is mis-interpreted, I am talking about making a project easy for a beginner to complete, and not get bogged down in the process. How often have we heard (or said) that a first project became boring or overwhelming, and was set aside for years while the maker pursued other, less frustrating interests? If a beginner can complete all phases of making her first projects, and feel a sense of accomplishment, then she may feel challenged and confident enough to branch out and try other things.
Enjoy the process.