Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you always wash you quilts?

so far all my quilts have been for family members, and i have not washed any of them.....but i will keep all this in mind if i do give one outside of the family....thanks for all the info...

Yep !!

I guess I never thought about doing this until now. Thanks for asking the question!

Mandy

I guess washing finished quilts is a personal thing. I do not wash after finished.....either put it on the bed intended for or gift wrap and put a ribbon on it!!!(along with washing instructions) I watched Fons/Porter yesterday-new series and Marianne mentioned she never washes her quilts when finished....and if they are meant for her house, they remain unwashed for maybe a year......she feels they mellow just being used---so I guess I am in good company.
    Relate the "washing" to "store bought".....do you wash everything you purchase from the store before you use it? oops, maybe I should not have said any of this!!!!!!!oh well

Blog Entries
    All of my quilts are washed before they leave my house. I work with very small scraps given to me by a professional seamstress and they are too small to be washed before I sew with them. And I starch the scraps when I iron them. I also use spray basting, so I have a triple whammy in my quilts. I wash my finished quilts with color catcher sheets to make sure that the fabrics don't run, the spray baste comes out, and the starch comes out. Also, I like the crinkly look of washed quilts.

Like to wash it so I can make sure the quilting is even. Seems once washed, it comes alive and so neat. Quilting DOES make the quilt! Also need to make sure ALL the chemicals are out of the fab. My dermatologist says one washing does not get all the chem out of fab.

I guess I am in the minority here. I never wash and I have given away many. I like the new feel after it is quilted.I get requests and gentle hints for quilts. My quilts are meant to be used and so they are sturdy. I use colors I know wont run.

Yes I wash them even if they are wall hangings cause I like the crinkly effect shrinking gives them

Blog Entries
    Yes I do. ;-) :D

Blog Entries
    Yes, I always wash my quilts before giving them away. I want to see how they look after washing and it gives me a second chance to look for any threads that I missed clipping earlier. Plus, I want to be sure the quilt is soft and cozy.

Blog Entries
    Yes for sure reasons as follows

- remove any soil that might come from the whole process, as I spray baste on my sewing room floor also oils from my hands and I do not pre-wash my fabric.
    - I use Color Catchers to prevent any shifting of color
    - I like how they look when all crinkly
    - I can see if I forgot something or if anything came undone

Janet

Very useful information. Thank you.

YES. Except for wall hangings.
    That way people will know they are washable. I can also see if there are any loose threads or seams.
    I also like the look and smell of freshly washed quilts. When the weather is nice I use fabric softener in the washing machine and then dry the quilts outside.
    AND, I too always use Color Catchers.

yes, unless it is a wall hanging

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B
    Relate the "washing" to "store bought".....do you wash everything you purchase from the store before you use it? oops, maybe I should not have said any of this!!!!!!!oh well
    I always wash everything I purchase in a store before using it.

For some reason, a lot (most?) of manufacturers seem to use some type of scent on their products or perhaps the scent is just integral to the manufacturing process. In any case, I wash it with scent-free detergent to get rid of the smell.

Yes I always wash mine. Mainly because of the oil from my hands. I do a lot of hand quilting.

Yes. all get washed.

I always wash mine when they're finished... I like the look best after they have been washed at least once.

Yes, I do.

yes , i would not want to give someone a quilt that had markings or looked like it had been drug all over my sewing room , also it is good to know that it will withstand the washing and i didnt have any problems that needed repaired before i gave it away

Yes I always wash first.

I prewash the fabric before I quilt that way the shrinking has already occured and the color that wants to run won't ruin the quilt when done. Sue

I want people to know they can be washed, so I say.... It has been washed! Then I think some will feel better about using them. I also agree with the idea that if there are flaws of some kind, I can know before I give it!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    YES!!! if anything goes wrong- like a seam comes loose-or a fabric bleed or anything else i want to know- and be able to fix it before it goes to anyone else--- it can be very devestating for the recipient to be the first one to wash their quilt and something happen to it....has been known to really hurt feelings/family relationships
    Yes, for this reason, and cat hair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2